Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally have money for goodies. I'm going to get a snorkel and breather kit, I have encountered multiple situations in which a snorkel would have been wise. I'm buying it regardless, but I read that people get increased mpg from a snorkel at highway speeds. I understand that it's forcing cold air into the engine, could that better atomize the fuel? And reduces intake temps, which is another plus. I think the increase will just raise it on the "to do" list for the rover. Plus I have a friend in AU who will sell me one for just 200$ shipped. :buttrock:

I'm getting 15.5 mpg now, I can get 16 if I don't drive like an ass, and extra 1 or 2 would be nice on long trips to California and Utah I regularly take.

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath.

I have one and have seen no change

· certified idiot
694 Posts
To get a ram air effect you would need a really big scoop (2ft x 1ft) feeding directly into the intake over a short distance and be doing about 120mph minimum.
using a standard sized snorkel and pushing the air all of the way down to the intake you would need to be doing about 400 mph with no air interference effects to get even a marginally noticeable effect on power or mpg.
Dont be disappointed!
cheers
Barri

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
The volume of air is what gets the snorkel. Any gains through a snorkel are also compromised through the tube going all the way up there. Most people would like it small as possible just so it won't look shitty. Generally hoses for intake are used to route to a filter location where the surface area to air is increased as much as possible. The most increase you could get is opening it up right above the intake..like most ram air systems.

The air at 60 to 70 miles an hour won't make up for much if your trying to stuff it in a coke bottle.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makes enough sense, why do would SOME people report better mpgs? because they are consciously try to improve driving habits w/ the snorkel installed? orrrrr THEY'RE LIARS!

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
I think some very minimum gains could be found in certain situations. But over all, the volumetric efficiency cancels any thought of ramming air in there. Like trying to increase efficiency on a lawn mower motor blowing air through a straw off a Capri sun.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that was very well put. I don't think anyone could've said it any better... Well, since I get no real gains, I live in the dessert and its winter, and I only encounter water in the spring and summer months in Utah and California. The snorkel will have to wait! Thanks.

· certified idiot
694 Posts
But over all, the volumetric efficiency cancels any thought of ramming air in there. Like trying to increase efficiency on a lawn mower motor blowing air through a straw off a Capri sun.
LMAO I love it :clap:

I found the only things that help efficiency were to get a scan gauge or similar ( I have moved to torque and my tablet with a blue tooth ELM) and watch how my driving habits affect consumption and keep synthetics in my drive train. Also when I see the MAF getting lazy replace or clean it as the ECU seems to over compensate for slow responses and enrich the engine more than necessary.

If you don't need roof racks, steel bumpers etc then don't put the weight on the vehicle. If you want the look you will pay for it in consumption. Even being relatively careful I can only top out at around 17mpg
cheers
Barri

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.