Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello one and all

I´m new to this so forgive any mistakes. I´m here for help and advice. In the very near future i´m going to view this landy with the aim of buying it. This will be my first. What i´m after is some advice as to anything special I should be looking out for.

90td, 1990diesel. 7seats, 83k, service history andall mot´s. Two owners from new (me and brother in law). Excellent runner and condition throughout. White, English registration, right hand drive.

So if any of you went to look at that landrover defender what would you be looking out for??

PS i´m in Spain

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think that a 1990 Land Rover would not actually be called a Defender- instead it's a 'Ninety'. In that case, the engine is the 2.5 Turbo Diesel and it would have the LT77 gearbox.

The engine does have a rather bad repuatation for burning out pistons, but this is caused by abuse and poor servicing- yours seems to have been looked after well so you should be fine. Before starting the engine, heat up the glow plugs for 15 seconds. The engine should start quickly without large amounts of black smoke. A small puff of smoke and some blue smoke when it's cold is alright, but there should be none once you're on the move. Try the engine at lots of speeds on all gears and listen for rattles and knocks- the engine should be quite smooth, making the typical diesel 'tuktuktuktuktuktuktuktuk' noise. Once the engine has warmed up, check for oil leaks, especially around the turbo.

The gearbox can be quite stiff and notchy when cold, but should be fine once warm. There will be some whine coming up through the floor, but any very loud noises mean the gearbox will need work. There should be no grinding or crashing noises as you change gear. If there are the synchromesh needs work, but this is quite easily fixed. Try the Low Ratio and Diff Lock lever and check the Diff Lock light comes on when it should.

The bulkhead and chassis can both rust. Check the bulkhead for rust around the wing mirrors, below the bulkhead air vent flaps and at the bottom door hinge.

Check the chassis all over for rust holes. The rear cross-member is the worst place. It will rust from the outer ends inwards. The chassis outriggers are the next place to check, especially around the body mountings.

The steering should not be heavy and it should not have too much slack. The Land Rover you're looking at will probably have power-steering, so check this system for leaks and groaning noises (repair is expensive). The steering swivels at the ends of the front axles should be smooth and not rusty. They should not be leaking large amounts of oil either, though if they leak a bit they can be replaced.

Generally, I'd expect a 1990 Land Rover to have plenty of life left in it, and it should not have any big problems. A 7-seater version is a good choice- they're very practicle and fantastic off-road.

Good Luck,

Jack :drive:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jack

I´ve taken all that in and it´s all good advice. Now i´ll print it off and memorize it to help me look like I know what i´m doing!!

Like you, I believe that a 1990 should still have plenty of life in it. This is really a trial period, or test purchase, If all go´s well i´ll be on the look out for a later model by summer thanks again
Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure you need to worry too much about a bit of leak from the power steering - I topped up the steering reservoir on my ninety every few weeks for ten years, didn't seem to cause much of a problem - just one of these Land Rover things!

The standard fuel tank size on a 90 might be more of a problem. Newer ones have the 110 tank, but I found the range pretty limited on the old 90 (admittedly mine was petrol).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts