Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rellye Hi to all
I recently purchased a Defender 2002 td5 and love it all.
I am preparing it for a round Australia honeymoon trip so your opinion is appreciated as I am new in the 4x4 world.Do you know or recomend any aftermarket power chips and price?.I have thought of putting in a intercooler but am a bit concerned about potential problems and price at the moment.Have just bought stylish arb bull bar and Warn winch xd900h .I have recently seen intercoolers on ebay with claimed 45% increase in performance by alli sport for about 399 or 299 pound if recalling correctly, approx 900 australian dollars.I would like to start upgrading the motor as I feel some more hp isnt a bad thing hey? Lets face it the speed and acceleration of the defender is not a key feature & I knew that on purchase I also knew it was tractor able to get the job done .I do not want to hurt my beloved engine though just make it stronger with aiming at not complicating or tampering with realiability.If any one has fitted a intercooleror a power chip on a similar vehicle please I would love to here from you.Reading through the December issue OVERLANDER mag I came across a dp chip for diesel but no listed price .Has any one fitted a intercooler and if so what was the engine reliability like when outback also do they interfere with front grill and muddy crossing.I live in Victoria Australia and would like to get off on the right foot
Till my landy flies overtaking is still going to be a sin :rellye

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I don't own a diesel, but you can get it chipped (Unichip), is a good one to install, but you will be looking at around $1000 and the extra performance is outstanding. A chip upgrade really works well with the td5. If I'm not mistaken, your td5 is already intercooled. If you want super performance, I have heard of a LPG system that works in conjunction with the diesel fuel which gives outstanding horsepower and mileage increases. The downside is you have to lose some cargo space. Perhaps it's something to consider when you return (lucky bastard) from your trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information I recently went to the 4x4 show but there was not much available in this field I will try to obtain this power chip through Northern Arb they are the lads who helped me with winch and bullbar see what they think it will cost me unless you know of any other places via credit card.The lpg conversion sounds cool but tricky would like to learn more though I can see space saving a important factor for myself.While we are chatting and you obviously are a landy guru would my car benefit from arb air lockers .My friends custom hilux v6 has front lockers and he thought I might not need them?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Give Graeme Cooper @ Graeme Cooper Automotives in Sydney a call. www.lrexpert.com.au They have done a lot of Unichip conversions. Unfortunately, you will need to bring the car up to their workshop as the 'Unichip' will need to be programmed to your engine. This will usually take a day, which includes dynotuning, so you could perhaps fit it in with your intended trip. Alternately, he might know a Unichip dealer in Victoria who can do the install. With regards the ARB lockers, if you do decide to have one fitted, fit it in the rear diff first, then the front if you want to have two.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Disco is correct, you already have an intercooler, but the stock one gives the minimum performance. There are many good aftermarket makers of intercoolers in the magazines (LR Enthusiast, Monthly, World, Owners International) The greater the cooling surface area, the more air density you will gain and diesels love that. I have a friend in Scotland who replaced his stock intercooler in a 300 TDi and swears it's the best thing he ever did.
Good Luck on the honeymoon. I sure hope the lady loves Landies (or you're in trouble).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.