Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe not of interest to USA, but Land Rover announced today that the Defender would continue in production until at least 2008 :D fitted with a Ford diesel engine - not sure when this will be introduced :dunno: . I am guessing that this means there will not be a petrol-engined option.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Defender Engine

1955diesel said:
Maybe not of interest to USA, but Land Rover announced today that the Defender would continue in production until at least 2008 :D fitted with a Ford diesel engine - not sure when this will be introduced :dunno: . I am guessing that this means there will not be a petrol-engined option.
I wonder if they are refering to the Brazilian engine. The HS2.8 TGV, built by Interbational Motors of Brazil is an impressive engine, somewhat derrived from the 300Tdi. Ford is rumored to own Internation Motors

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it will be a 2.4 litre version of the "Puma" engine used by Jaguar in Europe. Jag uses a 2.0 version. But I expect it will be retuned and updated to Land Rover's requirements. :drive:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also heard the 2.0/2.4 Jag diesel rumour. It would be great if the 2.8 TGV (or Power Torque or whatever its called) could be brought over from back- imagine it, more power and torque than a Td5, torque peak of 1400 rpm, all mechanical fuel-injection, sorted timing belt etc.

BUT- would Land Rover be allowed to sell it? The Tdi was replaced because it could no longer meet the Euro emissions controls. Unless International have found a way of getting mechanical injection to reach Euro IV standard, then (correct me if I'm wrong) Land Rover could not sell it as a factory fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts