Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did they stop importing the defenders to the US??? These things hold their value better than gold over here because we can't get anymore! Also, it'd be nice to get one of the new defenders as they've finally updated the interiors to be very nice.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Land Rover stopped importing the Defender because it wasn't possible to modify the existing vehicle in so many areas to meet the NHTSA specs.
Any one of the individual items necessary sounds, at first blush, to be a pretty simple modification, but when added together was too far a departure form the existing platform.

Items needed included:
Impact absorbing front and rear bumpers.
SRS system including both Driver and Front Passenger Air Bags.
Soft Dashboard, and A Pillars.
Side Impact Reinforcing Beams, All 4 Doors.

The door beams alone would mean a redesign of the doors as there simply isn't enough room for the window regulator and glass in the existing doors.
The dash of the current Defender (pretty much a holdover from the Series 3)
would look alltogether different.

While the newest versions are a far cry nicer than earliest ones, the New Defender won't be much like it at all. If that's the only one that will do it for you, your choices are to buy one already here, build one, or wait 25 years for that model year to qualify.

The good news about the newest design is Ford AND Land Rover understand the importance of embodying as much of the spirit and appearance of the original, and at the same time, eliminating the dozens of flaws that make them a cramped, cold, wet, noisy and less than reliable truck.
In the end, if it ends up looking like a Trooper, Pathfinder, or other such (I'm being cautious in my wording here) thing, The blame doesn't lay only at Land Rover's door. The NHTSA is the main driver here.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
They are Cramped, Cold, Wet, and Noisy in cold, wet countries. They're hot and stuffy in hot climates. They're noisy everywhere, but though we are all jealous of the countries that permits Defender diesels, they are even noisier.

It's pretty unlikely the old design will survive when the new one is out, and since the new defender can't help but be more expensive, I suppose you could say the American market was the cause,. The series III lasted a year after the original introduction by one year, because the long wheel base and short wheelbase come out in different years.

Sales figures for the Defender have been declining for a few years and it was no secret that Land Rover was looking for an excuse to drop it and bring out something new. A Market where up to 30% of their production can't be ignored, but it's inevitable the rest of the world's diehard Defender lovers will blame the US for ending the traditional refrigerator on wheels. Land Rover is commited to bringing out an additional 2 models which are, as yet, not disclosed. One of the two has to be a new Utility, and unlike Toyota, one of the richest car companies in the world, Land Rover can't afford to have production capacity devoted to redundant designs.

With reference to your original comment, Defenders in the US sell for the prices they do, only becuase there are only so many. Their value, and what they sell for are not really related. The prices aren't going up anymore, but aren't likely to drop dramaticly when a new Defender comes out because there will alway be more potential buyers than the remaining few thousand driving around. I have enough faith in Land Rover that when the new design is unveiled, it's going to be a good vehicle ( I hope I can still call it a truck) so why would anyone pay me thirty plus grand for my 1993 when for a little more they can have the newer, and probably better one?

·
Registered
261 Posts
am i missing something? sounds like land rover discontinued defenders altogether from your post. maybe im just too much in la la land to comprehend though...but please explain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Defender is still in production but LR has made it quite clear that a new model is in the works, and as said above it will be a drastic change. Ford wants the Defender back in the US market and with the marketing potential, you can't blame them.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
TerryS said:
It's pretty unlikely the old design will survive when the new one is out,

Sales figures for the Defender have been declining for a few years and it was no secret that Land Rover was looking for an excuse to drop it and bring out something new.

The prices aren't going up anymore, but aren't likely to drop dramaticly when a new Defender comes out ...
Thank You Whistler.

Garland, I'm not sure where you got the idea I was saying the Defender had already been discontinued. Each of my three sentences above imply Defender (meaning the current version, as they may keep the name) will likely be dropped WHEN the new one comes out, but since it isn't likely to happen till '06 or '07, Current Defender will likely remain in production at least that long.

·
Registered
261 Posts
now that i've reread your post, i'm not sure where i got it from either. my post was the last day of christmas break, so i couldnt really focus on anything haha. but there will be defenders imported to the us again soon, whistler? by soon i mean within the next 5 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
but it's inevitable the rest of the world's diehard Defender lovers will blame the US for ending the traditional refrigerator on wheels.
well thet's the general idea here in Europe!
you americans and your regulations, are worst than the EU!

I'm a Defender lover and a Series lover, and I'm sad to hear that the Defender as we know it is going to disapear!

Some of the modifications that Terry described are easy to make, some quite impossible, but will be a pitty if the Defender is gone!

I love the SVX project, does anyone remember? it came on LROi in 2001 or 2002! That should be a plataform to work on!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree that it will be a shame to lose the Defender in it's easey to fix and modify form but I am looking forward to seeing what driveline they put into it. The rumors are that it would stay a ladder chassis but that the body would have to change to accomodate the required safety.

My hope is that if Ford gets the UK millitary contract that they keep the Wolf WMIK, that way the hard core Defender will remain for some years to those of us willing to find them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts