Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a new 110 and I totally accept that Defender is a raw, sometimes flawed, but brilliant vehicle just the same. I expect some rattles and imperfection. What I can't get past is the idea that a new Defender will leak water when it rains. This seems inexcusable and is inconsistent with the Defender's go anywhere reputation.

Is this still the case or has the problem now been fixed?

Cheers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Leaks but depends what angles

Depending on what angle the vehicle is on.

parked facing down hill to the right: Fine no leaks at all
parked facing down hill straight : slight leak drivers side
parked facing down hill to the left: the whole windscreen
parked facing up hill whole back half of the cab.
solution only park in a garage.
this is of course just a joke. :clap:

I have a small leak above driver between the windscreen and roof. This only started in the last 10,000 or so km's up till then it was perfect. Even then it is only a small amount of water and only when it rains hard something this side of Aus (apart from Syd) has not had for a while. It's a Dec 99 with 90,000 on the clock it was a minning vehicle before I bought it so it did spend a lot of time off road.
Adam

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rain? In Oz? Huh!

I didn't know you had any rain in Oz!

How do you think we manage in Great Brit-rain? :D :D We've just had the wettest August on record.

I was thinking of fitting gutters and downpipes to the inside of the 2B (Defender bodywork) until I fitted the home fabricated high roof which solved the problem completely.

After much extensive searching, I never found out where it could be coming from.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just that I'd prefer to be fully prepared for that one day of the year when the warm Australian sun is suddenly hidden by that single, vaguely depressing rain cloud. Should it rain, my day at the beach could conceivably be ruined by a leaky Defender! I know, it's an unimaginable and highly distressing picture I've just painted for you - best not to dwell on these highly unlikely scenarios.

Cheers, and thanks for the info!

Rick.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rick said:
It's just that I'd prefer to be fully prepared for that one day of the year when the warm Australian sun is suddenly hidden by that single, vaguely depressing rain cloud. Should it rain, my day at the beach could conceivably be ruined by a leaky Defender! I know, it's an unimaginable and highly distressing picture I've just painted for you - best not to dwell on these highly unlikely scenarios.

Cheers, and thanks for the info!

Rick.

You lucky people. It must be so depressing when just that one day in the year that it might rain just so happens to be the very day you take the Defender to the beach. Of course getting wet in the sea is so different from getting wet from above eh! My heart bleeds. ;) ;)

I did manage to have the hood off the lightweight for a couple of days earlier in the year though with reasonable confidence that I might get away without getting it soaking inside, but only because the clouds just happened to go a bit north!

You know that we have the opposite scenario. The one day on which it might be sunny in the year is usually the day you have to spend all day in a sodding meeting in work!!

Cheers, Rob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts