Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ya, so the people working on my car(a reputable LR authorized shop that works with high end european cars) called me and told me they know why my caliper broke. They told me when they took the wheel off and the wheelbearing out, the bearing crumbled in their hand. I was hearing no noticable sounds before the caliper broke. What would have caused this? How much would it cost(ballpark)? If it's cheap and a factor of old age(153k on a 95 disco) should i have my other bearing replaced as well?

- In-Tears-Because-Lack-Of-Disco-For-Past-3 Days Appstatedisco.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The bearing costs between 17 and 21 bucks. You should also change the seals while you're in there. Do all four if you can, at least check them out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the axle seals?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right, so MBV(the people working on my disco) just called me and let me know that the reason the caliper blew out was because everything in the rear-right axle had totally gone to hell. Every peice is destroyed and it let the axle slide out enough to ruin the caliper. They quoted me at around $1000 for the axle repair/replacement and $800 to fix the brakes. Is this a good price for such a job?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just gave MBV the go-ahead. hope this is the best choice.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
appstatedisco said:
right, so MBV(the people working on my disco) just called me and let me know that the reason the caliper blew out was because everything in the rear-right axle had totally gone to hell. Every peice is destroyed and it let the axle slide out enough to ruin the caliper. They quoted me at around $1000 for the axle repair/replacement and $800 to fix the brakes. Is this a good price for such a job?
It's hard to tell w/o the parts list if it's a good price or not. Obviously it would be cheaper if you did the work yourself.

Going back to your original question as to what caused the bearing to disintegrate.... probably lack of grease. One of your seals might have gone bad and water got in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.