Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....I have never owned a land rover, but am curious about them.

This is a bit of a broad request, but could some of you give me an idea on how dependable these vehicles are, how well they last, expected milage before serious overhaul, and also fuel economy? I know that being a 4wd that they do not get the best gas mileage, but I imagine the newer models probably do much better than the older ones.

Any info would be appreicated, if nothing else if some of you could mention how things are with your own land rover that would be cool :)

Thanks all!

Mark

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Well Mark, I can't speak for other models but I can tell you about my '95 Range Rover LWB.. I have had it for about 1 month now and I am getting around 12 MPG when city driving and about 15 when 1/3 city and about 2/3 freeeway. Nothing spectacular.

I just did a major service on it and that ran me $900. Mine still needs new brake pads all around (have em sitting in the garage ready to go on). I also need to replace the tie rod that the PO's girlfriend bent.. so I have those 2 things to do.

As with all British vehicles, electrics are a major concern.. Mine has 109k miles on it. Time will tell how it holds up. I know it still needs the coolant hoses replaced, as they are all original (but don't look that bad). Also it has several small oil leaks.. but there is a saying about British cars, "If it's not leaking oil, it means it is out of oil"

Hope some of this helps.

Serg

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have alot of friends in England and this is what I know about mpg

Disco/Defender TD5 32-37 maybe higher
Disco/Defender 300TDi 28-34 maybe higher
V8 4L most models 16-20
V8 3.5L most models 13-16
2.25L petrol around 18
2.25L diesel around 21
2.5L petrol around 20
2.5L diesel around 22
200TDi most models 23-28 maybe higher
4.4L rangie ( new model ) 16 roughly

Landrovers are like any car if you look after them then they will look after you
I have seen the V8's get up 450,000km before giving way and I have heard of a 300TDi doing 700,000km and still going
The V8's like reg oil changes and use good quality oil none of that cheap stuff and I found that a bit of injector cleaner in the tank once a month helps aswell
The 200-300 TDi's new a new timing belt every 100,000km but from what peolpe have told me your better off doing that at around the 85,000km mark and yes you MUST do the belt or bye bye engine.
To service my 3.5L inj Disco with me doing the work cost me aroud the $55aus mark and I think the diesel if you do it yourself will be around the $110 mark but not sure.

Mark there is one thing for sure once you get a landy you will want one for ever :D :D :D

Adam :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:)

From seeing the love you guys have for them, I can bet that will be true should I ever get one. There is one here in my town (semi-rural Kentucky, USA), and I have to say it is a really great looking vehicle.

The fuel economy you guys have stated sound about average for a vehicle of the size, even better if they are 4wd vehicles also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
owning a Landy ;-)

Hi,

If its of any use:

I've owned many Land Rovers and am afraid that once you've owned one theres no going back.

Yes it is true they have a tendancy to break down but I think thats the main point. You just replace and drive off again !

Over time experience teaches you to keep and eye on the Landy you own and I can normally tell when somethings on the way out or about to break/fail.

No offence but I'm no a fan of petrols. I've tried but they're just not for me.

Models with electrics seem either really good or really bad - as I've found out !

I run a 2.25 diesel and its great ! First time starter and will work all day long, it returns about 25-28 mpg (yes its true!) Bit smokey and noisey, I suppose but I like it that way.

To be fair I do sevice it and repair it well so I know whats what.

Here in the UK parts are available pretty much everywhere which is probably another plus point.

I've also learnt to keep a few of :beer: in the fridge as some jobs can be a little "frustrating" .

My advice ? buy one- you'll love it !

Cheers,

Jim

P.S I also run a 200tdi and that is excellent ! probably the best I've ever owned :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:)

Excellent Jim! And hey, I have no problem with diesel at all. Heck, you get almost as good gas mileage as my Eclipse, and it does not do bad at all. I think any vehicles reaching near 30mpg are great!

As for smoky and noisy, well, that describes about half the cars I have owned in my life, and alas they were all gasoline powered, but were clunkers ;) You get used to the noise after awhile, and hey, if it is supposed to have some noise like a diesel does, then thats cool.

Agh, time will tell if I purchase a Land Rover....I am keeping an eye out and mulling it over :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing to keep in mind as you look at the later model Land Rovers (in the US) is the 4.0 vs. the 4.6. The 4.6 is a much better sized engine for the weight of the Land Rover, and will get better mileage than the 4.0

I have a 4.6 in my RR and can get 17mpg on the interstates at 75mph.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Pugsly said:
:complain: :complain: :complain:

Wish my Classic could do that! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are British cars pieces of crap? Does a giant brick get crap mileage?
Had one? Got one? Know what you're talking about? Thought not.

I think that you'll find that there are more British vehicles in the us than us vehicles over here. Maybe they aren't up to it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 1991 RR Classic which has 169K miles. I got it with 63K. Under 100K funny, wierd things would happen. Front caliber corroded at 63K. Fan belts coming off ? Just odd things plus some usual.

After 100K things started to break in nicely and wear-out is better than most vehicles I have owned. I started doing my own service at 135K after an ABS problem my mechanic couldn't solve which I fixed (ABS accumulator needed replacement just like the manual said but had gone many additional years).

Some suggestions; 3.9l engine runs dirty. You can tell this by the weight of old oil filter ( I also owner Porsche 911 and Chevy Tahoe 5.7l.) I use "double" sized WIX 51459 or FRAM equivlent. Requires rubber band wrench since it barely clears front cross member. FRAM PH1 is usable but only 50% larger.

At 90K oil consumption was going up and tappets getting noisy so I started changing oil every 1000 miles (10 times) then increased to every 2000 miles (~10 times). Now I am running oil/filter change every 3500 miles adding one quart after 1500 miles. It's running SWEET almost inaudiable at idle.

Another high milage suggestion; I have been draining the transmission every "other" oil change. Sooo....simple, drain plug in the center of trany pan. Do it at oil change so no extra mess. Capacity is 8 quarts but only 4 quarts come out. Balance stays in torque converter. Dextron III ... buy gallon + 1 quart. Pour in the gallon and top off ~1/3 quart after checking level. I started this at 148K and have done 5 times so completely flushed; much smoother shifts, running quiet. I'll probably back off to every third oil change.

I wish I had know how easy this was. These transmission are expensive and the gallon is only Dextron III is $6.

Milage 14.0 average over three years.

Steering boxes notorious for leaking fluid. Cherk Meridian for best rebuilt, I hear.

These forums really helpful for finding problems.

My $0.02

G

·
Registered
61 Posts
When are you people going to learn. You don't "own" a LR, it comes to live with you. Treat it right and it will be a long and reliable relationship, you can even abuse it and it'll stick by you. But if you don't care for it then it'll up sticks and move on.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Pugsly said:
One thing to keep in mind as you look at the later model Land Rovers (in the US) is the 4.0 vs. the 4.6. The 4.6 is a much better sized engine for the weight of the Land Rover, and will get better mileage than the 4.0

The 4.6s are supposedly more prone to the dreaded slipped sleeve/porous block/sleeve problem.

The 3.9 in my Disco has 193K on it and we just returned from a 1500 mile wheeling trip where I was not afraid to drive into the unknown in spite of the high mileage.

Fuel mileage is not attractive, but longevity is, if the oil is changed and the engine NEVER overheated.

My SIII has many, many, many miles.

·
I GOT RANGE
3 Posts
Hi,
I have a 1996 RR WITH THE 4.0. I bought it a year ago with 107,000 miles. It now has 118,000 and the only thing I have had to replace on it is the alt. Due to a connection I have it only cost me 170 bucks new with a lifetime warranty. I average about 14 mpg, with most of my driving being in the city. Most people frown on that but its the exact same milage that my father-in-law gets in his 2003 explorer with the same displacement and 2 less cylinders. So my verdict is... NOT TOO BAD. It's my second landy and ill never drive another truck as long as I live. GO ROVER OR GO HOME. that's what I always say.

·
I GOT RANGE
3 Posts
Hi,
I have a 1996 RR WITH THE 4.0. I bought it a year ago with 107,000 miles. It now has 118,000 and the only thing I have had to replace on it is the alt. Due to a connection I have it only cost me 170 bucks new with a lifetime warranty. I average about 14 mpg, with most of my driving being in the city. Most people frown on that but its the exact same milage that my father-in-law gets in his 2003 explorer with the same displacement and 2 less cylinders. So my verdict is... NOT TOO BAD. It's my second landy and ill never drive another truck as long as I live. GO ROVER OR GO HOME. that's what I always say.

·
Registered
101 Posts
On a tank of fuel, with 1 hour of trail time, I get between 11 and 12mpg. I have been able to get as high as 14, but haven't seen that in a while. I am a fanatic about keeping my '04 Disco up to date on maintenance. Only thing I have had to do is replace a window regulator and replace the front drive shaft. The rest has been scheduled maintenance. -I have owned it for 20 months. I completely trust it to take me where I need to go, and even some places that I don't need to go, but enjoy going non the less.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gday, I live in Australia, have a 1992 Discovery V8i. Bloody fantastic vehicle! Takes me away for weeks on end deep into the bush with no problems and she does 20mpg, eventually put in a 136l tank to give me miles more range.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OH! haha- OP in 2004.... Silly midnight hours!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts