Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passing an idea along here...

I recently replaced my entire cooling system in my 2002 Discovery 2 and while removing the "Air Intake Duct", [that's what the RAVE Workshop Manual calls it, call it what you want] from the air box to the driver's inner fender wall, the fabric section practically disintegrated in my hands. I was not surprised after nearly 20 years of desert living.

I decided to replace it until discovering they are not sold separately; only as an entirely new air cleaner box assembly - not happening.

I gave that Flexi-Seal rubberized paint a try... just like new. I'm not a paid sponsor of Flexi-Seal, but if they want to send money... that's fine by me.

I'll let everyone know how it held up two decades from now, when I revisit the cooling system again!

·
very disco
1,312 Posts
Sure beats electrical or duct tape which is the common cure

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Sold separately by Carrs

Land Rover Discovery II Air Intake Tube Hose kit by CARRS4X4
$49.00 USD1$49.00 USD

That's where I got mine, when I did the upgrade on my coolant reservoir, T-pipe and 4-way from plastic to aluminum.

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice, but it's missing my applied artisan craftsmanship restoration and vintage original appointment. All joking aside, I would have bought that had I know of it's existence. I see they are now out of stock on that part.

Odd that they (LR) felt the need for it to be pliable in its original design - there's no movement there that I can see. I mean, it's not like the BOSCH motor behaves like a Shaker motor, so why the flex point?

Chris

·
very disco
1,312 Posts
removal for service requires flexibility. The real question is why did they use a material susceptible to rot???

·
Expert Crate Digger
232 Posts
Sold separately by Carrs

Land Rover Discovery II Air Intake Tube Hose kit by CARRS4X4
$49.00 USD1$49.00 USD

View attachment 92032

That's where I got mine, when I did the upgrade on my coolant reservoir, T-pipe and 4-way from plastic to aluminum.
I've got the same CARRS4X4 intake tube. Great quality, easy to install and looks good.
I was thinking of spray painting flex-seal on my old intake tube but it was a rats nest with a gaping hole in it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This Flexi-Seal solution is a great MacGyver move. Well done. And if it deteriorates after a few years you can always reapply it, I expect.

The CARS4X4 product was created and sold by abran, a great, frequent contributor over on the landroverforums.com forum. His products seem well-designed and well executed, but this is nicely creative and less expensive.

·
Drives like an old man
403 Posts
That Flex-Seal stuff, for all its marketing nonsense, is really very good. Your repair will probably last as long as the rest of the vehicle. I've used it to patch a leak in my office roof and it's holding up nicely in New Mexico UV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very nice, but it's missing my applied artisan craftsmanship restoration and vintage original appointment. All joking aside, I would have bought that had I know of it's existence. I see they are now out of stock on that part.

Odd that they (LR) felt the need for it to be pliable in its original design - there's no movement there that I can see. I mean, it's not like the BOSCH motor behaves like a Shaker motor, so why the flex point?

Chris
I think its pliable for changing the air cleaner..
john kemple 94 RRC LWB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts