Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to change my diff fluid in both axles this weekend and I am wondering about the oil weight, type-syn, etc., and brand.

I have been looking at this royal purple stuff for a while but recently became very interested a couple weeks ago when they tested it in a dodge ram on a dyno and it gained 7hp due to less friction w/ the royal purple...(not that other synthetic oils wouldnt do that..but this stuff seems to be all the rage.)

I also want to confirm that I need 4 qt. of oil total?

any suggestions?

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
It does seem like royal purple is all the rage, but I'm not even sure it's truely synthetic. Isn't it just a synthetic blend? I've always been a fan of Amsoil personally. I don't know that Mobil 1 comes in gear oil, does it? That would be my second choice.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
80/90 wt is what is recommended all though I use 140 wt. in both diffs and the t/case. Royal Purple is good as is Mobil One are great. You might consider the synthetics over the regular dino oils, they do hold up better.
How about all your other fluids, have you done your brake and power steering fluids yet, many people forget them.
Mike J.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disco Mike said:
80/90 wt is what is recommended all though I use 140 wt. in both diffs and the t/case. Royal Purple is good as is Mobil One are great. You might consider the synthetics over the regular dino oils, they do hold up better.
How about all your other fluids, have you done your brake and power steering fluids yet, many people forget them.
Mike J.

Disco Mike, just want to confirm you have a disco II?

Why do you use 140 wt? Would it be appropriate for use in my rover......my concern would be moving the oil when it is 19 deg F outside.....we have long and cold winters around these parts. Any pros, cons you could tell me.

Also for cellulararrest; http://royalpurple.com/techa/faqsa.html#mo1a

"Is Royal Purple® synthetic motor oil?

Yes. Royal Purple® Motor oils are composed of a proprietary formulation of synthetic base oils and synthetic additives containing iso-paraffinic diluents. "

The more I hear about royal puple, bias and not, I think its the real deal.

I havent changed my power steering and brake fluid......the last time that could have been changed was about 6k miles ago when I brought it in for a checkup.....my next checkup is comming soon...

Also, how often should I replace my engine oil? Ive been doing it probably way too often, but around every 2500 miles....using Castrol Syntec. Last time I changed it was about August.....and have put on around 1500 miles so far. That time around I used a K&N oversized oil filter for mine too. Does it need to be changed in the next 1k miles/ couple months???

btw, all oils are going to be full-synthetic...non of that cheap crap is going into the rover....I know it wont like it and sooner or later it will be regurgitating parts.

also, thx for help disco mike; I just got off my warrentee and feel that everything (fluids, spark wires, plugs?) needs to be replaced so I can set a "timer" and know when to replace it next.

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
keptin said:
Also for cellulararrest; http://royalpurple.com/techa/faqsa.html#mo1a

"Is Royal Purple® synthetic motor oil?

Yes. Royal Purple® Motor oils are composed of a proprietary formulation of synthetic base oils and synthetic additives containing iso-paraffinic diluents. "

The more I hear about royal puple, bias and not, I think its the real deal.
Thanks for the link. Good to know.
:)

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
80/90 Mobil 1 synthetic is what I use......

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Josh,
Yes I have a 99DII and yes I use heavier oil then you would need to use because when I run the high deserts here in Calif. during the summer, you want all the protection you can get. I also add Lucas OIL Supplement to everything you that little extra punch.
As for your engine oil, keep it up, thats a great oil, which I also use along with the 3001 K&N long oil filter. yes you are changing it a little too frequently, 4000 to 5000 miles is great with that synthetic.
Asa for the other fluids, p/s and brake fluid, the dealers hardly ever check it and it should be done every 30000 miles or more frequently if used hard off the road. The brake fluid really should be done every 20000 miles, because of the trucks weight. As it wears out or burns your brake pedal starts getting soft and you do loose a little stopping power.
How mechanical are you, alot of the maintance on Rovers is easy to do at home on a Saturday afternoon.
Mike J.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks.....I will have to check out Asa for the fluids.

Id say I am very mechanically inclined for my age, but I am lacking the actual experience. Ive got an edge with logical thinking and a lot of what you could call common sense (eventhough its not so common these days).

I think it was all because of LEGOs :D

I checked locally and I think I will try the royal purple diff fluid...

I was wondering if I will have to put some anti-sieze something on the drain and fill diff plugs? Or wait? Arnt they plastic?

Perhaps I will put off my diff oil change to get some of those nice shiny brass plugs from EE.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I bought some of the brass plugs fromE.E., they are worth every penny.
Mike J.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeh.....I looked and they are $20/plug, I need three of them...

are they worth 6000 pennies? :dunno: Perhaps I will get them later......I dont believe they are critical.

It would be between buying the three brass plugs, or new spark wires. :p

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I hate the plastc plugs,, use them a couple of times either with a large slotted screw driver or some type of wrench and they wear out making you fight just to get the damm yhings off.
I didn't realize they were up to $20 apeace. Are they worth it, yes, just knowing you are not gong to have to fight with the plastic ones was wrth it to me.
As for ASA, I'm not sure what you ae refering to.
Mike J.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Disco Mike said:
Asa for the other fluids, p/s and brake fluid, the dealers hardly ever check it and it should be done every 30000 miles or more frequently if used hard off the road. The brake fluid really should be done every 20000 miles, because of the trucks weight. Mike J.
dang...I cant believe I didnt catch this....*DOH*

Asa is not a brand... :p

Dang, ok, so what brand should I use with the brake and P/S fluid?? Does brake and PS fluid have to be a certain type? (ie. oil is 75w90, what are these in thier own measurments?)

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Josh,
I have been using Vavolines Synthetic brake fluid with great results, doesn't burn as fast, doesn't retain moisture and less brake fade. I would buy a qt. of brake fluid.
I also use Vavolines Synthetic P/S fluid and I add a pint of Lucas P/S Additive, truck steers much smoother and doesn't leak.I would buy a qt of p/s fluid plus the Lucas. When you get ready, I will tell you the easy way to change the fluids.
Hope this helps.
Mike J.

· Registered
97 Posts
Depending on what Disco you have, check on Technical Data of your Owners Manual under Lubs and Fluids/Capacities. That should tell you plenty. Mine is on page 205 - 207. Just be patient when searching the store if you're using the manual. Chances are you will find one but not the other. Or better yet see if you can find a knowledgable associate to point you in the right direction. ;)

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, diff fluid is done. They didnt have the royal purple stuff so I went with Mobile 1 synthetic 75w90 gear oil .

I bought prestone? (forget exact brand name) high life 5/150 (something) antifreeze/coolent. I cant seem to find anyway to drain the coolent, where is the drain plug?

Also, where are the drain plugs for the power steering fluid and how do I change the brake fluid?? Sry for asking simple questions....have never had to do it before because of the warrentee...now that thats up its time to learn :)

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
yank the top and bottom hose off.

And ROver uses Dexcool. The same stuff as Chevy.

use the top hose as a filler. that way you fill up the engine and less time to bleed the motor.

and dont walk away from it while its running. fill it up both ways and leave off the cap and gun the motor for a bit that will bring up the heat quickly.

leave it running for a bit more and turn on the defroster. Check to see that you got hot air. let it run for a while to make sure the heat coming out is really hot.

The brake fluid needs to be changed by bleeding the system. you need someone to hold the pedal to the floor when your doing it.

If your not comfortable then have it done by a professional. Otherwise you will get air into the system. oh and make sure the bleeder screws move. be gentle.

oh and what about the transmission fluid. did you change that.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
I did all my fluids in my truck , but the only thing is the xfer case . What kind of pump should I use? and where should I look for it . cause I have not seen it in auto parts store . unless I missed it somehow .

Yeah Deslexia/ADD Owns sometime .

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
beezel said:
oh and what about the transmission fluid. did you change that.
Yes, I want to change it today with more Mobile 1 syn. I havnt really looked at it yet, but where is the drain plug for the transmission?

Perhaps I will leave changing the brake fluid to a professional.

How do you change the Power Steering fluid?? If I just drain it and refill, where is the drain?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.