Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
diff lock sticks! - help!!

when engaging the centre diff lock on my 97 disco ES auto, it moves across with ease but when i go to dis-engage it, it's a real strugle, have to hit the leaver repeatedly untill it moves over!!! can anyone think of any solutions??? cheers!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it used to move quite freely, i do reverse up for a bit but it makes no difference. even if u disengage it imediately after engageing it without moving it is a struggle and getting worse i think!! just when we get loads of snow aswell!!!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I was thinking windup also, but if, as you indicate, it's hard to get back out whithout even moving, it's mechanical.
The whole transfer box linkage is out of a little quadrant box atop the transmission. The linkage system to the actual inputs lever on the T case are pretty hokey, Rube Goldberg arrangements. At the bottom of the linkage for the lock is a little U shaped piece of 1/4" diameter rod, that gets rusty, and freezes. The other source may be the sliding spline itself. It's inside the front end of the the T case, and I think it can be service without taking the T case out, just drop the front drive shaft and pull the coverplate, bearing and front output shaft. Have you checked that you have not gone dry in the T case? Only way is to top it off

·
Registered
321 Posts
you can also get to it by removing the centre console, remove th bootie, drill out the rivets and then you should have clear access to the linkages. when putting the cover back on, use some sheet metal screws in place of the rivets and depending on how much water you cross, might be a good idea to use some silcone...
take care
sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.