Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno: Hi, I am just about to buy a 4L '96 RR -
The dealer told me that there has always been a humming sound comming from the undercarriage in the back..."but it was no problem" - I asked for it to be fixed b4 purchase. Turns out the "diff" needs to be replaced. he is planning to do this with a rebuilt diff...
what is a diff?
Should I buy the car?
Is a rebeuilt/reconditioned "Diff" ok ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The diff(erential) is the piece of the drivetrain that takes care of the fact that the wheels (particularly when turning / off-roading) will want to go at differen speeds, but the drive train only runs at one speed if I understand it correctly.

To my mind a rebuilt one should be fine. However, especially given the age of the vehicle, I would certainly ask about the exented warranty. If they're an LR dealer, they can do a really good one, if it's not then have a look at rangerovers.net, they have some good advice / links for 3rd party ones. Chances are that at some point down the line you'll have to replace constant-velocity joints and / or other parts of the drivetrain due to the slightly extra wear & tear it's had, and the policies are worthwhile if you can find one that's a reasonable price ($2-3k for 2 years seems to be the going rate, depending on coverage).

HTH

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What sort of mileage is on the vehicle? Replacing the diff after 8 years seems unusual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts