Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

As I've posted before I'm in the process of buying my girl a DiscoII.

My best friend the dealer has narrowed it down to an 01 white "SD" with 49,000 miles, dual roofs .... that's all the details he had today.

The other is an 01 forest green LE w/77,000 miles and half leather half cloth seats, which I've neither seen nor heard of.

He's heading over today to take a look at both of them, and a third white 01 with 60,000 miles.

So what's the difference between an LE and an SD? Thanks guys! Erik

:clap:

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
The SD is usually the base model(I think), the LE will just have some more bells and whistles.

This is taken from a 2004 brochure(my wife has been looking at trading in her 00 for an 04).

S model features which should be about the same as the sd
duragrain seating surfaces
8 way power drivers seat/6 way passenger
six speaker am/fm single disc cd audio sytem
rear fogs
16in wheels
18in optional
rear flaps
dual roofs optional

SE model which should be comparible to the le
leather seats
eight way driver/six way pass. power seats
armrests
burled wood trim and alcantra door trim
12 speaker220watt Phillips/Learam/fm/cass. audio
optional harmen cardon system
front fogs
rear fogs
18in wheels
rear flaps
dual roofs
headlamp washers
roll up load space cover
class 3 hitch

options on both
SLS
park distance control
front flaps

Personnally I would go for the SD. Less features=less to go wrong....and it has less miles. Hope that helps somewhat, different years but it should be relatively close.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
1999-2004 Land Rover Discovery II: Highlights

Land Rover redesigned its lower-priced model for 1999, giving it a Series II designation. Appearance did not change appreciably, but the new model was claimed to be 85 percent new. It was the first revamp since the Discovery's debut in 1994. Overall length grew by 6.5 inches and width by nearly 4 inches, but the wheelbase was unchanged. Only a single version of the four-door midsize SUV was offered, with several class "firsts." Although styling remained familiar, the Discovery had more rounded contours and a taller windshield. A newly designed dashboard went inside, along with softer and larger front seats. Equipped with permanent four-wheel drive and standard five-passenger seating, the Discovery II held a 4.0-liter V8 engine and four-speed automatic transmission. Engine output rose by 6 hp and torque by 18 lb-ft, compared to the prior model. If optional 3rd-row seating was requested, the jump seats now faced forward instead of inward. Cargo space behind the middle bench went up by a claimed 15.5 cu ft. Cloth upholstery was standard, with leather optional. Automatic dual-zone climate control also was standard. Antilocking all-disc brakes and 16-inch wheels were standard. The 4WD system had separate low-range gearing and electronic traction control that braked individual wheels as needed to limit spin in severe conditions and restore lost grip. Standard Hill Descent Control automatically applied brakes to limit speed when descending steep grades in Low range. An optional Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) system replaced the usual antiroll bars with hydraulic rams, to reduce body lean in hard turns. A self-leveling suspension also was available. At this time, the Land Rover organization was a subsidiary of BMW. Rivals to the Discovery included the Ford Explorer, Acura MDX, Lexus RX 300, Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and Infiniti QX4.

Year-to-Year Changes

2000 Land Rover Discovery II: Addition of an integrated compass to the rearview mirror was the only notable change for 2000. A new fuel-filler-door indicator went on the instrument panel. Ford bought Land Rover from BMW this year.

2001 Land Rover Discovery II: For 2001, the Discovery reverted to three trim levels--SD, LE and top-line SE. Adding the optional 3rd-row seating changed badging to SD7, LE7, or SE7. An optional SE/SE7 performance package included 18-inch wheels and Active Cornering Enhancement. A rear self-leveling suspension was standard in "7" models, and available for the LE and SE. Leather interior trim was standard for the SE/SE7. A new 10-speaker, 220-watt premium audio system became available this year.

2002 Land Rover Discovery II: A new top-line HSE edition with DVD-based entertainment and navigation systems debuted this year, joining the base SD and midline SE. The LE model was gone. An optional Suspension Package for the SE/HSE added Active Cornering Enhancement. A rear self-leveling suspension was standard on seven-passenger models. Leather upholstery was standard on the SE and HSE, along with 18-inch wheels (versus 16-inch for the SD). A limited-production Kalahari off-road edition went on sale later in the year.

2003 Land Rover Discovery II: A 217-hp 4.6-liter V8 replaced the 4.0 V8. The grille, headlamps, and front bumper were restyled for '03, and instrument graphics were also revised. A rear-obstacle-detection system was new and exclusive to the HSE.

2004 Land Rover Discovery II: In 2004, Land Rover produced 200 limited-edition G4 Editions, named for the Land Rover sponsored off-road challenge. The G4 is orange and includes self-leveling suspension, front brush bar, rear access ladder, and lamp guards. Also new in '04 is a driver-activated locking center differential.

· Registered
521 Posts
A bit more simple:
'99-'02:
SD: 5-seater base model, but nicely equipped with all-power, auto. transmission (for US) etc., no sunroofs or front sunroof only(not sure in the US), cloth interior, 16' wheels.Also mostly all the standard accesories on the upper trim levels were optional on these.

SD-7: same base model as above, but with rear jump seats and self leveling air suspension (these two came as a "package")

SE: Luxury model, Leather seating, two sunroofs, 18" wheels, running boards/side steps, Harmann-Kardon sound system with amp under the driver's seat, cd changer under the pass. seat, rear ladder etc., but again if you ordered it new from the dealership you could delete some options in place for the standard ones and vice versa.

SE-7 same as above, but with two extra jump seats in the back and SLS.

LE and LE-7's: Limited-edition model.Even more luxurious than SE's and rarer to find as compared to the other models.Have a beautiful brown-hide leather seating surfaces and steering wheel.

One way I tell them apart, although not 100% accurate, is by just looking at the front bumper.On SD and SD-7's the bumper was all black with no-fog lights, on the SE and SE-7's the bumper corners were color-coordinated and they have fog lights and headlamp washers.A few SD's came with optional fogs so that's why it's not 100% accurate.

On 2003 they changed to "S", "SE" and HSE" going from base to most luxurious.Same thing as previous years when it came to options and accesories with the exception of a more powerful engine available as an option.

Hope this helps,
Carlos

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Carlos, are you sure about the LE classification? According to Land Rover, the SE was a higher trim level than the LE, and I am almost 100% certain LE didn't stand for "Limited Edition". If you want a real limited edition D2, then find a Westminster, Kalahari, or G4. :cool:

While the standard SD model did come equipped with a non-painted front bumper, there was an option code to have it painted, and it also came with fogs. One thing they usually didn't come with however, was side moldings.

Here's some more Land Rover articles:

In 2001, the Discovery line features new model designations and more optional equipment. Three trim levels are available: SD ($33,350), LE ($34,350) and SE ($36,350).

Adding the Rear Seat Package ($1750) option (available on any model) changes these designations to SD7, LE7 and SE7, respectively. The "7" designation indicates a third row of forward-facing rear jump seats, making room for 7 passengers. The SD7, LE7 and SE7 also include SLS, the self-leveling suspension system, and a hydraulic rear step.

Standard features include Rover's 4.0-liter V8, a four-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission, Land Rover's permanent four-wheel drive, a sophisticated four-wheel electronic traction control system, Hill Descent Control, and a four-channel all-terrain anti-lock braking system.

Also standard are eight-way power adjustable front seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, keyless entry, heated power mirrors, power windows and door locks, child safety locks, cruise control, rear window washer and wiper, and halogen headlamps with washers. The SD, LE and SE all use 16-inch alloy wheels, but the styles are different.

Our test model was an SD, $33,350. For 2001, cloth seats are replaced by a beige vinyl-like covering called Duragrain. It's attractive and looks sturdy. The SD audio system is an Alpine 100-watt with six speakers.

LE, with a base price of $34,350, features a leather interior package. It's distinguished by its two-tone front grille, partially painted front bumper, integrated fog lights, and headlamp power washers. The interior is Indiana Brown leather with modest wood trim.

The most popular model is the SE, which comes with a full leather interior. The leather comes in three colors, beige and two shades of gray. The seats have center armrests and power lumbar control. The Alpine sound system is a 220-watt 10-channel with 12 speakers, plus a six-disc CD changer. SE also comes standard with HomeLink, a Class III trailer tow hitch receiver, and a roll-up rear load space cover. The SE7 includes remote audio system controls and headphone jacks for the rear seat passengers.

An optional Performance Package ($2,900) includes Land Rover's Active Cornering Enhancement system and 18-inch wheels and tires. The other primary options are: rear air conditioning ($750); Self-Leveling Suspension ($750); and the Rear Seat Package ($1,750), which includes the self-leveling suspension.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Limited Edition D2's

2002 Discovery Kalahari

The production-ready Discovery Kalahari features a dramatic Borrego Yellow paint scheme and an array of specialized off-road equipment including a Saudi/Gulf states front bumper and grille; black seating surfaces with Tetra technical fabric center panels; a black steel wraparound brush bar and lamp guards; a black steel rear ladder; and a matching roof rack finished in black steel and equipped with a steel mesh floor.

Only 150 Discovery Series II Kalahari vehicles will be produced for the 2002 model year. They will go on sale in the U.S. in Oct. 2001 with an estimated base MSRP of approximately $40,000.

2002 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SERIES II KALAHARI FEATURES

EXTERIOR

• Discovery Series II Kalahari-exclusive Borrego Yellow paint scheme.
  • Borrego Yellow-painted headlamp finishers and grille surround.
  • Black Saudi/Gulf-specification front bumper and grille.
  • Black steel roof rack with steel mesh floor.
  • Black steel wraparound brush bar, lamp guards and rear ladder.
  • 16-inch “Typhoon”-style alloy wheels with black painted spokes and polished outer rims. 255/65R16 H-speed rated tires.
  • Kalahari badge featuring each vehicle’s limited-production build number.
  • Full Kalahari appearance package and unique vehicle badging.
  • Front and rear fog lamps.
  • Integral Class III trailer tow hitch receiver.
  • Optional equipment: Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE), Self-Leveling Rear Suspension (SLS) and Cold Climate Package (includes heated front windshield and heated front seats).

INTERIOR

• Smokestone Gray instrument panel and interior panels.
  • Black Duragrain seating surfaces with “Tetra” technical fabric and Ash Gray outer panels.
  • “Brunel” silver trim on passenger-side fascia.
  • Alcantara material and “Brunel” silver trim on door panels.
  • Leather-covered cubby box lid and door grab handles.
  • 12-speaker, 220-watt premium audio system with steering wheel-mounted controls. AM/FM/cassette stereo tuner with auto-seeking weather band and Radio Data System (RDS). Six-disc CD auto-changer.
  • Dual tilt-and-slide power sunroofs.
  • HomeLink® system. (HomeLink is a registered trademark of Johnson Controls).
1999 Discovery TReK

(this is all the info I could find on this model)
The special-edition Series II for Land Rover TReK is designed for hardened off-roaders who take their vehicles to extreme conditions. Research indicates that over 38 percent of Land Rover owners use their vehicles off-road, far higher than the industry average.

The special-edition Series II features a number of upgrades designed to support the already excellent off-road capability of Land Rover's Discovery. The vehicle rides on BF Goodrich's Mud Terrain 285/75R-16 tires. Up front there is a custom-made steel bumper with an integrated Warn XD9000 winch. The custom rear bumper features an integrated class-three trailer hitch. There is extensive undercarriage armor, including rock sliders with integrated air tanks for tire pressure adjustment. For late night action, the vehicle employs nine Hella lamps, including three high intensity discharge driving lights. There is a full length roof rack and, mounted on the rear, a 48-inch high-lift jack. Under the hood, the conventional battery has been replaced with dry cell technology, which can better withstand the punishment of extreme off-road driving. Inside, the door panels and seats are covered with two-ply supplex waterproof fabric. All carpets have been removed in favor of more durable and easier to clean rubber matting.

Support for this project was provided by BF Goodrich, Hella, Old Man Emu, Safari Gard, Safety Devices, Southdown and Warn.

2002-2004 Discovery Westminster
(this is truely a mythical creature, as I had a lot of trouble trying to find info on the model, but it does exist.)

2004 Discovery G4

The Land Rover G4 Edition Discovery is painted in Tangiers Orange, just like the real competition vehicles and features an all-new, larger diameter roof rail design called the "Aero" Roof Rail system. Full exterior protection includes the Discovery front A-frame brush bar and rear lamp guards. On the inside the G4 Edition Discovery features an all-new "Foundry" trim finish that includes seats upholstered in “Black Mogul” technical fabric - a material unique to the Land Rover G4 Edition. An in-dash CD player, black leather-wrapped steering wheel, as well as driver and passenger electric seats, complete the G4 interior.

Only 200 of the Discovery G4 Edition will be built with pricing expected to be under $39,000. Availability will be in the third quarter of 2003.

· Registered
521 Posts
I was not 100% sure on the order of the LE trim level among the other two, but thanks for the observation. The "LE's" with the dark saddle steering wheel, handbrake and seat trims are still harder to get though.

Thanks,
Carlos

· Registered
20 Posts
I dont kno enuff about these beasts to strait out tell u the difference....but if u have a specific question...that requires me to check my disco out and report back...i can do that :)

I can tell you that mine is Java black and has black leather interior w/ lite colored piping...black suede leather on the door panels...gray colored wood trim. 18" rims n 255/55 tires...nav system (yuck)...6 cd changer...harmon speakers...4.0 L/ auto....

no seat heaters :(... no jumpseats...

i cant think of anything else that may or may not be different...

i would like to know if it has that special leveling suspension (ACE?)

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
look under the hood to the driver side the pump will be next to the AC compressor.

not to mention the power steering has two caps.

· Registered
105 Posts
I too have a Westminster Ed. (2002)

Not sure why they were made or what is so special. The only thing I could come up with is that the leather is black.

· Registered
36 Posts
I just picked up a 98 LR D1 LSE

apparently they only made a LE and LSE for that year (NA)

anyone know what the LSE stands for, or what extra options
vs LE or other models?

thank you
Guess I answered my own question.
For 98 (NA) they made a base model LE and LSE w/more options

What I read, so far, is that the LSE has interior wood grain trim, colored painted (to match body) bumper ends and chrome instead of flat black bumpers. Not sure what else but I'll list what mine has (not sure if it is standard in all LR D1s).

1. two sunroofs
2. rear view mirror has two reading lights and auto dimmer
3. sandy beige or light color leather seats (heated)
4. chrome bumpers with painted to match ends
5. interior wood grain trim
6. CD changer under passenger seat
7. front valence with fog lights
8. 8 speaker system; two in front doors and two in rear pillars, two tweeter pods in front pillars, and two (small woofers?) in rear door panel.

Does Not Have:

1. (front/rear) brush guards
2. rear ladder
3. rear folding out step
4. rear folding seats for added passengers

not sure if some of these things were an option or taken out in it's life time, since I bought it used

maybe there's a VIN decoder somewhere

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Using a sample VIN# of SALTY1240XA123456 the VIN breaks down to:
SAL = Manufacturer: Land Rover
TY = Year & model. (TH = 2001 MY LE 5 seat; TJ = 2001 MY LE 7 seat; TK = S or SD with duragrain and 7 seat; TL = S or SD duragrain 5 seat; TM = 2000-2002 MY 5 seat; TN = 2000-2002 MY 7 seat; TP = 2003-2004 MY HSE 5 seat; TR = 2003-2004 MY HSE 7 seat; TY = 1999 MY or 2003-2004 MY 5 seat)
1 = 5 door
2 = Engine code. (2 = 4.0l V8; 4 = 4.6l V8; 5 = 4.0l V8 LEV; 6 = 4.6l V8 LEV or ULEV)
4 = Transmission code. 4 = 4 speed auto.
0 = Check digit. (0 to 9, or X)
X = Model year. (X = 1999; Y = 2000; 1 = 2001; 2 = 2002; 3 = 2003; 4 = 2004)
A = Build location. A = Solihull.
123456 = Serial number

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.