Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I have both front & rear sway bars out of an '01 DII (soil sprung).
Not sure what problems, if any, you may encounter with taking the rear sway out on an SLS-equipped vehicle. You may want to give a call to an indie shop for advice on that. If you are wheeling to the point where you want to remove the sway bar, I would suggest swapping out the SLS for coils.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea as the extra articulation may unseat the air bags besides, the DII will provide enough articulation for most heavy duty trails, without having to remove the sway bar.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Disco, I thought about last night at work and decided to leave it alone. The airbags and compressor have already been replaced once(warranty) and I think they might start asking questions if it goes so soon after the fix. Coil spring conversion time for the D2 I think, as its purpose in life is beginning to change! LOL!

Thanks for the replys!!

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Disco said:
the DII will provide enough articulation for most heavy duty trails, without having to remove the sway bar.
DII is without a doubt a great performer. But when you're talking heavy duty trails, you stand to gain a lot by removing the sway bars. (your point about the airbags unseating is well taken). With ETC as the traction driver on a DII, and possibly CDL, keeping the tires on the ground is key. You can't articulate to the extent you need to w/ the sway bars attached. Plus, the sway bars do the opposite for you off-road as they do on-road. Just as they prevent body-roll on-road,,,they create body roll off-road because they lean the rig into the articulation, rather than allow the axle to drop out to the full extent the suspension will allow.

Obviously, the value-added depends on the trail. But on heavy duty obstacles or very deep mogul runs, a DII w/ sway bars attached is going to lead hard into the obstacle & risk rolling more so than one with sway bars removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.