Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas (or has done it themselfs, or knows someone who did) on how to fit winches into the ARB bar that are bigger than it specifies, which means that modifications are probably necessary.

My heart is set on a worm drive winch, more specifically the Huskey 10 (and maybe the RE12000), but they are quite big.

According to arb, the biggest winch that fits in the bar that they sell is the Warn M10000, which mesures L62cm X D22cm X H25cm. Where as the Huskey 10 is L62.71cm X D24.77cm X H22.56cm.

As you can see below, this guy fit the Ramsey RE12000 into his ARB, (to do this he relocated his solonoid, which is bolted onto the side of the RE12000 I believe). So I know its possible, I just am not sure how to go about doing this with a Huskey 10. Any ideas?

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
I don't know for sure about that bar..... I know when my buddies built one on their jeep we went to a scrappe steel place in town, did the measurements, and the cut apart the old push bar, welded in our new craddle.. It came out great..

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats another thing I wanted to ask in a different post, but I guess ill ask it if anyone has any opinions about the ARB bar. See ive really only wanted the ARB since I first started looking at rovers. All the other bars, though more functional, are not the ARB bar. I am very safety consious, and law abiding. Though this doesnt fit into the law category, its definatly in the safety one. Seems like ARB and TJM are the only bars that are air bag compatable and have crush zones built into them. I know these crush zones tend to crush on the trail too, they are (or should be) much safer than bars that are connected directly with the frame. They are also much more expensive (or at least the arb is), at nearly $950 at the door, they are only rivaled by the $G bumper. But unless you guys can convince me that a solid-frame-connected bar is more safe (high speed collisions, 'cause I know that a 15mph crash would leave my car fine and another totaled w/ a solid-frame bar) then I think thats my only option.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Personally my push bar is direct to the frame......no crumble zones....I could be wrong but if you are in that high speed of an accident the air bags will still deploy due to the other sensors.....Does that sound right? I don't own a car with air bags...... I never reallly looked into the ARB... I heard to much about lack of reliability from those that have owned them.......

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what bars have you heared good things about?

Also, should I definatly cut my bumper now? Ive smashed out both of those pretty hellas, so I guess they are just dead weight. I wont have enough cash to buy any bar till January.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
I have heard good about tjm... I have also heard good about Rovvertym from a guy that lives here in town...I don't know if the do parts for rovers but Road Armor also builds a great bar....I got lucky and have the great divide bar on mine..

Roverx may know more about cutting of disco's then me.. You can see his rig under "more pictures" in the off road section

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
keptin said:
what bars have you heared good things about?
Check out SCSL.. He has safari guard on his and judgeing from his pics i bet it's a knarly bar.. you could try to ask him

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Winch and ARB's

rmuller said:
I have a TJM and it's real nice.. but if I had to do it again, i'd probably go with a RoverTym... much better approach angle and more solid.
ARB's won't take that big a winch, especially the way they are mounted. You will twist the bumper in a heart beat unless you plan and some trick fabricating for a sub frame for extra support.
Mike J.

· Registered
734 Posts
We put a ARB with 10,000 lb. Warn on a truck last weekend. It was not the winch that ARB sells with the bumper as a kit, but the only thing we had to do was unbolt and turn the end with the control lever so it would sit on top. Bolted right in, and then the bumper was no problem and great after.

Love those RoverTym slim line bumpers though............ :buttrock:

· Registered
128 Posts
There is NFW the Husky 10 is fitting in an ARB. I have one sitting under my desk, and it's been there all summer. The ARB looks nice. The ARB folks have top-notch service. ARB USA are fantastic folks to deal with if you have an issue. That said, the ARB bumper is a flimsy piece. I have a brand new one on my truck. It will take some major butchery to get the Husky 10 in there, and there is no way the bumper will support it anyway. I was going to sell it, but now I'm going to put it on my winter roach with a lesser quality winch. I talked to the folks at RTE, and they'll make a bumper to fit the Husky 10. I may go that way, but I have 'till spring to make up my mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.