Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 Disco 134K miles. I developed a slight vibration between 35-45 MPH and had noise which seemed driveshaft related (increased with speed while accelerating). This is an aftermarket shaft I replaced two years ago. Sure enough, one of the u-joints was shot. I replaced all three U-joints and the centering ball, reinstalled, and the vibration is gone, but the noise is still present. It sounds like a rotational knock, and I can feel it (slightly) in the shifter when I grab it. I am thinking Transfer case output bearing or differential, but at this point, I'm just guessing. I haven't read about a lot of issues with these so I was wondering if anyone has had something similar. Just some more about the noise, it does not change with turning, it seemed louder in low gear, its loudest when accelerating, you can still hear it when your foot is off the gas, but it is much much quieter.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention that I checked both the dif and T-Case flanges for any play. I did not get anything out of the dif, and some minor play from the T-case output flange, I will try and measure the amount of play tonight, but it seemed to be less than 1/32". No leaks from either.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How about your rear roto-flex?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't touched the roto-flex yet, other than a quick attempt at moving the U joint. It sounding like it was coming from the front, but worth a shot. The rear shaft is all original, and other than greasing the slip fitting, I have done nothing to it. Is it best to check it installed for movement, or pull it off first?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update....unfortunately, I don't think its either drive shaft or rotor flex. With the tranny in neutral there is no sound, when I shift the transfer case into neutral and put the tranny in drive, the sound is there. Sounds like its coming from the transmission....sounds like im in the market for a new truck, unless I am missing something...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Any check engine lights on, if so what are the fault code numbers?
How mechanical are you?When was the last time you checked and or serviced the t/case and tranny?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No check engine lights, I do have the three amigos. I am pretty mechanical and handle most jobs on my own, not much experience with transmissions though. I serviced the T-Case around 30,000 miles ago, changed the gear oil and sealed the bottom plate again. Embarrassed to admit now given the current situation, I haven't serviced the transmission, I did check the atf level around the same time I did the T-case. The atf was full and looked/smelled ok.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
At 134K, you are going to kill your Disco unless you put some time into it. Have you seen my major service list posted at the top of this section, I would suggest you start doing this every 20K so you can get more mileage out of her.
At lest, go buy 7 quarts of an 85/140 gear oil and 6 quarts of ATF. Do you know how to drain and refill the tranny?
Make sure you check all your diff plugs as well as the t/case and tranny for metal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, yes I've read the list, very comprehensive. At lot I've accomplished, belts, vacuum lines, plugs and wires (along with the coil pack that failed at 90k) I've done most of the fluid replacements, including the diffs and t-case, no metal in them at 100k, but, I'll do them again if I get past this tranny issue. Going to start with the simple change in ATF with the additive, but it may be too late, Ill see what comes out when I drain. Thanks for the advise I'll let you know what comes out..

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Drain both the t/case and tranny at the same time, looking very closely for metal.
Do you know how to refill the tranny and where the t/case fill plug are located?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, I've done the T-Case before, Its the plug conveniently located behind the e-brake cable. I've not done the transmission, but I believe there is a filler plug at the front of the pan with the hex head, correct. Do you think there would be benefit in dropping the pan as well?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Would be a good idea just to make sure there are no chunks of metal in the pan.
As for refilling it, fill thru the fill plug, replace the plug, start the engine, shift drive to reverse and with the engine still running in park, fill the tranny again for a total of around 5.5 quarts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, So here is where I am. I drained the transmission, the fluid was full, when I opened the fill hole, I got a good amount of fluid draining out of the fill hole. I then drained the rest of the transmission. The fluid was dark, but smelled like ATF, not burned or foul. I checked it for metal flakes and found none. I removed the pan, and found no shavings. the magnet in the bottom of the pan had light coating of metallic sludge, but no shavings. Inside looked clean and "like new". no sludge or grime.

I drained the T-case. There were some small, very fine metal shavings on the magnetic plug. When I wiped off the plug it was about the size of the tip of my finger. Again, they were very fine, no chunks or even what I would consider fillings. The oil though seemed foamy towards the end of draining. I don't remember that from the last time I drained it.

I also removed the small circular "inspection hole" cover in the front of the tranny bell housing where the torque converter is. There was a small amount of grime and some rubber pieces which I determined came from the rubber dust cap that was deteriorating on the rear of the engine sump.

Again, the noise seems to be coming from the transmission and is speed/engine speed related and sounds like two pieces of solid metal clunking together (which led me to rebuild the front drive shaft). In neutral/park, it makes no noise. When I put the T-case in neutral and the tranny in drive, it makes the noise.

While I am glad that I didn't have large chunks of metal coming from the tranny, I am hesitant to put everything back together, since I haven't found a smoking gun yet.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Take of the front driveshaft attached to the diff and keep it attached to t case, shift t caces into neutral and spin the drive shaft, you could have a bad output bearing in your tcase. Also, when rebuilding your driveshaft, did you do it yourself?? My center ball on my drive shaft had chatter markets on it, so my shaft was ruined.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, so after a weekend of fluid exchanges, I've isolated the noise. I believe what I have is a worn input bearing, or shaft in the transfer case. Going to look around for a reasonable shop to do the work.

Does anyone know of a shop in or around the Phoenix area they can recommend?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Want to see if I can re-energize this old thread. I decided, with the help of a friend, to pull the transfer case and replace with a rebuilt one myself. So this weekend we dropped the T-case. No obvious signs of damage to the case, but feeling the output shaft of the transmission, there is, what I consider a significant amount of play on the output shaft. So much that it is audible when pushing up and down and side to side. My question is, what amount of play is acceptable in the output shaft of the tranny? I know that the shaft rides on the bearing in the transfer case, does that support the shaft from further movement?

·
jccrew1982
5 Posts
Curious what the ultimate fix was for your issue? I have a D2 with about 140k on it.

Backround: Recently had a local tire shop put on 2" TerraFirma kit along with 265/70/18 tires, and a heavy duty serviceable front driveline (bputah)

Issue: I now (first day on the road after shop) have the 3 amigo lights along with a loud metal on metal thump during acceleration and when coming to a stop. The 'thump' is intermittent but does occur at least 3 times during my 15 mile drive to work. I took it back to the shop and they located the faulty wheel speed sensor and are replacing/fixing it now.

Has anyone seen a faulty wheel speed sensor cause any sort of transmission noises?

Thanks in advance,

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.