Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a 2003 DII 4.6 with 101K. There is a ticking only after hot and it doesn't go away with higher RPMs. The odd thing is, on start up and warm up there is no tick. So I took it to a reputable Land Rover shop where I know the owner thinking it was the lifters and rockers and he replaced them, and also did a compression test to see if it was a sleeve. Didn't think it was because it never overheats or loses fluid. Sure enough the compression test turned out fine.

If it's not a sleeve, and new lifters and rockers are installed and working...what the hell could this be? It runs great, no misfires, and no check engine light. No overheating or oil burning. The mechanic I know was talking about dropping the oil pan and looking around, but honestly I don't want to spend a bunch of money chasing ghosts. Would love to try and diagnose the problem myself and see what I can do myself. Live in NYC so labor is high here...

Suggestions???

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
At that mileage and with those symptoms it's more than likely rod bearing noise (knock). I had the exact same symptoms and when I did a rebuild on my '03 with 113K miles all the rod bearings were pretty much worn down to the copper liner - replaced them all and the noise is gone.

Unfortunately the only fix is a bottom end rebuild. Some guys have done it with the engine still in the car but the only right way to do it is a full rebuild where you can mic out the crank & rods to make sure nothing is out of round.

That said, if the noise is relatively mild & there's no negative impact on oil pressure you can probably hold off on the rebuild. I must have had my tick for 20K miles. For now, just switch to heavier oil (15W40 or 20W50) and it should help quiet things down a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I think you're right about the rod bearings. The truck is in great shape otherwise so think I'll be religious in changing the oil every 3k miles and save up for a new engine. Hopefully I can get a year out of it.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
You'll probably get way more than a year out of it if you're careful. Rod knock isn't lethal by any stretch and I have some first hand experience with Nissan engines that have gone 100K+ miles with the problem. Just double check your oil pump gears to make sure they're not cracked - I'm pretty sure that's what led to my rod failure over the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.