Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the visual differences are between 00 and 04 DII front calipers? I am replacing them on my 00 and I want to be certain that I am replacing them with ones from an 03/04 MY vehicle as I hear they will improve the firmness of the pedal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 04 has always had a semi-soft pedal. I've done a complete brake job, replaced the fluid and put a new rear caliper in. It feels just like my neighbor's 99'. I wouldn't go putting the wrong parts on, but that's just me.

If the pedal is bottoming out, check your brake fluid level. If the level is fine there's a good change your master cylinder is on it's way out.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
On the calipers themselves (not the mounting brackets) the old style will say Lucas and the newer style will say TRW.

Auto part Subcompact car

Auto part Vehicle Family car

The brackets all say Lucas, or at least all that I've seen.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NICE.........Thanks very much.

Now when my new (reman) calipers arrive I can be certain that they are the updated 2003 design before mounting them. It will be interesting to see if they will actually be an improvement.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
There was more than just the calipers that changed for 2003. I believe the master and booster changed too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is why I'm doing the swap.........................

This question was asked in the August 2004 issue of Land Rover Owner….
“Q: The brake pedal travel on my 2001 Discovery Series II is so long I lose my confidence in stopping the vehicle safely. The brakes were fine when I bought the vehicle brand new, and to date it has covered 9000 miles. They started to fade at 4000 miles, so I took the Discovery to the dealership and they replaced the master cylinder. But the brake pedal distance increased so the dealer replaced the master cylinder yet again. Finally, a mechanic who services my trucks, suggested fitting new, thicker brake pads, and this was an improvement for the last 3000 miles. But now the pedal, again, seems to travel too close to the floor for my liking. I understand that this brake concern was fixed on the new 2003 Discovery.”
“A: Most SII Discoverys do not experience this problem, though we have come across it on Discoverys that are driven quickly. It’s due to the seals on the front brake caliper pistons-improved seals were used on the 03 model. The later seals cannot be used in the earlier caliper. The 03 model has new calipers, part no SEG000030 and SEG000060, though the carriers for the calipers retain the same part numbers for the earlier model.”

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 04 has always had a semi-soft pedal. I've done a complete brake job, replaced the fluid and put a new rear caliper in. It feels just like my neighbor's 99'. I wouldn't go putting the wrong parts on, but that's just me.

If the pedal is bottoming out, check your brake fluid level. If the level is fine there's a good change your master cylinder is on it's way out.
I have already changed the master cylinder. I have a Hawkeye Scan tool which I use to do good power bleeds. All the soft lines have also been replaced along with new pads and rotors.

It used to have a low pedal but it went away when I installed new rear rotors (no bleeding) for some weird reason. Can anyone explain that?

The pedal height is OK and everything feels good when coming to a slow stop, I don't have to double pump or anything like that. The real problem is when doing a "crash" or sudden stop the pedal feels terrible.

I also swapped out the modulator for a used one to clear up a bout of the 3 Amigos. With no change in pedal feel.

I hope installing these calipers helps. If not I will keep living with the problem as I have for the past 5 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.