Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My idler pulley (70mm, small one close to the tensioner) was making a lot of whining noise. Bought a new one from British-Atlantic. Came to $31.45 with shipping.
I did the exchange today. Wow, that was easy.
1. Removed the radiator plastic cover on top (4 screws).
2. Placed a flat piece of card board inbetween the radiator and the fan, so as to not damage the radiator if accidently slip.
3. With a 15mm socket on the tensioner pulley, removed the tension on the belt to remove the belt.
4. With a 1/2" socket loosened the bolt of the idler pulley. With a longer socket you work inbetween the fan blades.
5. Replaced the idler pulley with the new one, put the belt back on and replaced the plastic cover again.

Easy working; took less than 1 hour to do.

Result - MUCH quieter engine noise. Now I can hear the V8 rumble again :D

Probably good to replace the serpent belt at the same time, but mine looked in good shape.

The old idler pulley was really in bad shape. It had developed multiple flat spots and the bearings sounded dry and "gone".
The new idler pulley looked much more solid in comparison.
Certainly worth the little effort and saved some money as the LR dealer quoted me $140 to do the same job.

On the attached photo, the old pulley is on the left, new one on the right.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
if you buy the tools to take off the fan, it takes less than twenty minutes to change.

getting the belt off around the fan is the really big problem.

alot of times doing any all work underneath the car at the front of the motor its easier to take the fan off for more space.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
how many miles did you get out of it before the tensioner went bonkers?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Muddy Oval,
When I bought my DII a few months ago it had 69K miles. When I replaced the idler it had 73K on.

wolf,
British-Atlantic had it in stock (as have most LR parts dealers). I had it sent by US postal ground. For a fistfull of $'s you can get it quicker ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
frickjp said:
NAPA has this pulley for under $10. 38018. D1 pulley in the tensioner itself is rumoured to be a Dayco 89006. The grooved, plastic D2 tensioner pulley is a Dayco #89054. Works on RR as well.
sorry to revive an old thread, but for people like me who do searches for information i think its important to say that part #38018* is not the correct DII idler pulley (as far as napa goes) and that 89054 is not in their data base. NAPA has nothing for the DII however i cannot say if they have some part that does fit the disco and is just not labeled.

*part number 38018 could fit but you would need new hardware which is not included

Scott.:buttrock:

·
94 RR LWB County & D90'er
3 Posts
1994 RR LWB Country

Folks ... sorry to say, but I'm a bit confused and need some help. I want to replace the idler tension pulleys on the AC Belt and the Water Pump belt. I just want to change the pulleys themselves. They look like they are the same size. Any help you can provide will be appreciated. The DY89006 pulley referred to is a flat pulley ... the pulleys I want to replace have a V groove. Looking for correct part number(s) and source?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
230 Posts
Folks ... sorry to say, but I'm a bit confused and need some help. I want to replace the idler tension pulleys on the AC Belt and the Water Pump belt. I just want to change the pulleys themselves. They look like they are the same size. Any help you can provide will be appreciated. The DY89006 pulley referred to is a flat pulley ... the pulleys I want to replace have a V groove. Looking for correct part number(s) and source?

Thanks in advance
Are any of these what you are looking for?

Land Rover - Parts, Accessories and Information

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Better post this in the R.R section.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Completely missed that it is for a R.R.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
They are not the same size and so far, I have not been able to find an alternate part source, other than Rover parts houses.

FWIW-they are stupidly expensive, IMO, even when directly imported.

·
94 RR LWB County & D90'er
3 Posts
for sure ... this is for a 1994 Range Rover Classic, LWB, County with 4.6 engine

Possibly someone else will stumble across this and have more info on where to get these pulleys. I wonder if anyone has changed out the bearings without buying all new pulleys?

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm cheap but I like to repair instead of replacing things.
If I'm not mistaken:
Power Steering idler, #6304
Alternator idle, 6203
Tensioner bearing, #6203
Double seal on all

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
for sure ... this is for a 1994 Range Rover Classic, LWB, County with 4.6 engine

Possibly someone else will stumble across this and have more info on where to get these pulleys. I wonder if anyone has changed out the bearings without buying all new pulleys?
You have a '94 with a 4.6? Lucky man, I wish my '94 had a 4.6.

The bearing for a GEMS or other serpentine engine is a 6203, the most common metric bearing in use (or so I've been told).

If you have the Vee-belt engine and can find a source for the tensioner bearings, I'd sure like to know of it as I have a bunch of those trucks, but so far, the tensioners are all in good form.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 4-digits bearing numbers are not referring to LR part numbers but to a std bearing denomination. You can probably get them in various brand. I prefer SKF. I'm not sure but I think that each brand has a suffix # specifying the double-sided seal option you should use on the pulleys.

François

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.