Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all;
Haven't posted for a while now. The DII has been behaving fairly well, and I've been putting some miles on the somewhat new to me P38 Callaway. Lots to fix there, but working through it.
I do have a problem with the Disco (2003 HSE7) though that has kept it parked all winter, and it's time to get back on it. Let me explain.
I replaced the left driver's door latch with a used one (bad choice, I know) so I could get the electric lock working for the remote. The part tested well after cleaning and lube before installation. So let the swap begin.
After changing out the latch and reinstalling the window frame, but leaving the door card off, the door wouldn't latch. So I scratch my head and begin adjusting and shimming the strike on the B pillar until it did. It latched so well in fact it hasn't unlatched since.
I have removed all the rods and cables from the latch and operated all of them by hand to their fullest travel. No joy. I have locked, unlocked as well as super locked, unlocked with a nano com. No joy. I have pushed, pulled even with load lock bars to relieve and add pressure. No joy.
Just before it got too cold to work on it any more I removed the left rear door and cut through the outer post of the strike, but I can't cut the inner one due to how close it sits to the B pillar and the depth.
I am holding the original latch in my hand and the way it sits in the door pocket I just don't see how to go about ripping the thing apart to get to the latch levers inside to release the latch.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm thinking I may need a replacement door and a new blade for my sawzall if I'm ever to drive this again. I'm too old to go Batman style.

·
very disco
2,469 Posts
Could you get some liquid nitrogen on the latch?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From inside the vehicle, yes. But I have never tried to get a hold of any, though I've worked with it a little. I don't know any doctors or dermatologists that sell out the back door.
I guess I could call around to some local compressed liquid gas companies and see what they say. Maybe pick up a real live Stanley thermos with a stainless steel bottle.

Where would I put it though. It would be difficult to get to the cam part of the latch. I could try to freeze the post of the strike, but there is very little room.
I'll try to upload some pictures tomorrow when I have good daylight, but I usually fail at getting them posted.

Thanks for the reply by the way. Don't give up on me. I'm old, I hurt, I'm cranky, and I move slow, but I do move.

·
very disco
2,469 Posts
The disco door latch is a terrible thing to work on. I’ve tried a used latch before, never again.

I think you can get nitrogen from most gassers like helgate etc, though they may look at you sideways with a thermos lol. My thought was to rebolt the latch to the door, and just destroy the casing with repeated treatments of nitrogen and hammer.

you might try removing the door handle and going in that way if you can? If I recall correctly, forcing the handle off will probably only break the little plastic tab on either side of the linkage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're absolutely correct about it being a terrible thing to work on. The way it's buried in there and almost the same level as the seat bolster. And then you have to lay across the center console on your side to wedge yourself in front of the wheel.

But you've given me some new things to think about and that leads to inspiration and motivation. So I thank you sir.

Reactions: reverendALC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about dry ice?
Not to sure how I'd get that to work out considering the access difficulty, but good thing to keep in mind if the case breaks open and presents a cavity I can pack with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts