Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DII quarter panel cut-off. Should I? Also, fab DII custom bumper.

Well guys, after smashing it in for the 3rd time, I think I might just cut off my quarter panels....im thinking about it.

The idea has been there....but what got me thinking was this disco:

Im not sure.....I planned to cut it off to a certain point with a rear bumper....but this looks good IMO. What do you guys think? Would it be really ugly, etc. etc.? Looks arnt much, but my rover isnt for trashing yet.....I want to make it look good and clean, NOT LIKE CRAP. If I did this, I would definatly make a bumper or something to use with it.

Ill post a PS photo shortly.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Go for it....I cut mine..The clearence has really helped me on the trails......I have a bumper in the "PLANS" stage....... But I have used every inch of clearence on the trail.........

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just dont know....is there anything else I can do and gain clearance too? Perhaps cut it a bit and then armour the bottom of the quarter panels?

it just kills the side line of the car......like you just cut its ass off or something. Let me try something...

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I like how it looks ....but you will have to raise your exhaust!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I will.....I will probably use a torch to heat up the pipe, then bend it up. I dont think I will be cutting the quarter panels till I can fab a bumper to make it not look so ugly......it seriously kills the side stance....I like that bar idea, even more then a steel bumper.....I wonder where I could mount the lights.

How about this? Messy PS job...but its the idea.

btw, what do you guys think....white or black?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Just be careful..If you hit the panel too hard it can knock out your rear window?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
naw.....it will just crush in...and damage part of the panel that I want to keep [after I cut the lower section]. Its bending rather high up as it is, vs. on the part I would cut. Because of this, I kind of want to cut it before it gets permanently damaged.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I bent my rover up on a wheeling trip..That is why I cut!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah......I would have done it by now if it were part of the bumper, but because its a panel I am hesitant. I know I will do it eventually, but I will need to be ready to fab something to put in its place.....such as that steel tube bumper. It just looks too ugly IMO to just cut it off......but with something there, it looks good.

I want the "it is supposed to be like that" look from normal people.....slicing the panels off is too wierd.....kills the line.

This guy line-x'ed the rest of his DII to keep the line....it works, but I think the line-x look is ugly, too jeepish.....I really like the white on the sides.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I will do this instead. Instead of cutting horiz. I will cut at an angle and also not so much, this will keep some of the originaly body lines.

Such as this rover:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah....Ive decided wait 1/2 a year to just buy an RTE rear bumper or something.....I will still have to cut the quarter panels, but I just cant stand to do it without something right there and then to replace it. They just came out for the DII, the rumor is that they are priced under $1000, and they use the stock lamps:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I heard about that..... It keeps the stock look with of road performance.... That seems to be what you want!!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
keptin said:
I just dont know....is there anything else I can do and gain clearance too? Perhaps cut it a bit and then armour the bottom of the quarter panels?

it just kills the side line of the car......like you just cut its ass off or something. Let me try something...
Josh,
I toar off my rear bumper 3 times and caved in both quarter panels before I finally decided to buid a bumper that would do what I wanted.
I would post my pictures but for some reason, since I updated my Mac, I can't access the download management area any more. If you would like to see my pictures, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send some pictures your way.
Mike J.

·
Registered
41 Posts
keptin said:
yeah....Ive decided wait 1/2 a year to just buy an RTE rear bumper or something.....I will still have to cut the quarter panels, but I just cant stand to do it without something right there and then to replace it. They just came out for the DII, the rumor is that they are priced under $1000, and they use the stock lamps:
I've been thinking of replacing my rear bumper with a 4" x 4" square steel tube (1/4" wall), and then buying some LED lamps at the Pilot truck stop in Fernley and mounting them on the body sheetmetal just below the brake/turn/running lamps. That way I'll never bust another bumper lamp assembly.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am planning on using my stock lamps. However I get one, they are going in it one way or another. :)

Thanks mike for the pics, they were very helpful in giving my an idea on how to build mine. I really like the RTE slimline bumpers, but because you have to relocate the washer assembly, perhaps I will build a bumper that is a bit lower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Josh i like the Slanted bumber better. i agree that cuting it horizontal would look wierd without a rear bumber, but in the end the horizontal bumber will give you more clearance. Both bumbers look good, it is about which you like and how much you are willing to cut off.

p.s. the tube bumber gives it a d90 look

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really want to do it, with what mike told me I think I can allot about $200, give or take, to each bumper, front and rear, if I did a box steel design......way way cheaper then say an RTE bumper ($1000+), or their new rear bumper (around $1000). Better to just fab it up myself.

I really really like discomike's rear bumper....perhaps I will do something just like it. The fabrication seemed simple enough, and the shape is rather simple. I would cut holes in it to use the stock lamps, and perhaps some slight shape changes.

I hope you dont mind if I post yours mike:

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
All those ideas look cool. I'd prefer the angled cut to give some body line back like you said, Josh. Plus, yeah, if cut the quarters on my RRC, I would get some plate steel or skid plates to protect my exhaust plus preveting the risk of f-ing up the rest of the body panel where I would cut the quarter out. I like the idea; it's like removing the front "spoiler from the front bumper to gain some serious clearance on approach angles. Cool idea, man!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Josh,
Like your creartive nature, but I have grown accustomed to a solid rear bumper without the lights. Boy you should have seem me do a double take as a read down thru your post and saw my truck with tail lights.
If you build a bumper and go for a powder coat plan on at least $125 a bumper on top of what I told you.
Take care and send me some pictures of what you land up with.
Mike J.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.