Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating on what size BF Goodrich TA's to put on my disco II. I want 32" tires so either 265/75 16's or 235/85 16's. Does any one have any pictures that they could post of their DII's with these size tires?? How do they handle? Any other advice on these sizes?

Thanks!! :lol:

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
I would suggest 265/75's on a DII. Huge wheel wells mean no trimming (assuming a moderate suspension lift of 1 1/2" - 2"). The extra width looks better, IMO, on the bulkier DII than the tall/skinny sizes of tires. What suspension lift are you running (or plan to run)? This, more than anything else, will dictate tire size on a DII. With this set-up, if you're running the stock front bumper/spoiler, I also recommend you trim the front bumper corners or you'll only have about an ince between the tire & that front 'spoiler'. :drink1:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on installing Rovertym 2" lift springs with OME shocks. Thanks for the advice on the bumper. I plan on keeping it stock so I guess I will try and trim it. Can I put the 265's on before I get the lift or is there not enough clearance? :dunno:

2,687 Posts
yes, but you'll most likely rub under articulation if you go offroading.. 265/75 w/o a lift is ok for a on-road tire.. but lift before you wheel it too hard.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I plan on getting the lift soon but found some tires on sale now. I will go with the 265's. I also need to find some 16 inch rims to put them on. I have 18's with brand new Michelin XPC tires. I may keep them but would consider a trade for some 16's if anyone is interested.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Tires and Wheels

On my 99 DII I run 265's ,ut realize you will have some clearance issues to deal with. Do you have any lift? Are you aware that you will loose power and gas milaage with this tire size unless you go to 4:11's, then look out, you get gas mileages and great traction especially if you used BFG's MT's instead of the AT"s. Mt's last longer and give much better overall traction.
Think about it, by the way I have done all this and more with my 99 DII.
Mike J.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
know for sure the gas mileage is horrible. I live at 5000ft in a valley of hills and my mileage went from 15.5mpg to 10.5mpg with the tires. I have to push the pedal down harder just to go, and up hills it takes substantially more petal action to keep my speed.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keptin, how much lift does your white Discovery have?? I am not a heavy off roader. I go in the Utah mountains mostly and in Moab but I don't usually do the heavy rock crawling stuff so I don't need tons of flex. Would I be alot better off going with 245/75's?? I want decent ground clearance but I don't want to do a ton of fabrication or spend gobs off money making a little taller tire fit. I don't mind trimming the bumper a bit and putting a 2 inch lift on it but if I have to do more than that maybe I should get 245's which i think can be mounted without any alterations?

I know that 265's will have a big affect on gas mileage and power but I only use my Disco for off-roading or pulling my motorcycle to the hills. I will check out the MT tires though. I don't know what they are. I guess to get a 4.11 gear ratio means a whole new axle?

Thanks for your great advice!

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
katoom said:
Keptin, how much lift does your white Discovery have?? I am not a heavy off roader. I go in the Utah mountains mostly and in Moab but I don't usually do the heavy rock crawling stuff so I don't need tons of flex. Would I be alot better off going with 245/75's?? I want decent ground clearance but I don't want to do a ton of fabrication or spend gobs off money making a little taller tire fit. I don't mind trimming the bumper a bit and putting a 2 inch lift on it but if I have to do more than that maybe I should get 245's which i think can be mounted without any alterations?

I know that 265's will have a big affect on gas mileage and power but I only use my Disco for off-roading or pulling my motorcycle to the hills. I will check out the MT tires though. I don't know what they are. I guess to get a 4.11 gear ratio means a whole new axle?

The 245's will fit with no lift or trimming, even fully flexed off road. Haven't noticed any loss of power either.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
265 tires and lift

Badger I would agree part way. If you have near new springs you may get along with 265's without rubbing but as the factory spring settle, as we know they will, the tires will rub.
Mike

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
katoom said:

First off, I would unquestionably choose 265/75-16's for a Disco II if you off-road in it. Its not worth burning your money on anything smaller. It will require some trimming on the inside of the front bumper, but its nothing big, the bumper is not metal and easy to trim, and the trimming required isnt noticable from the outside unless your looking for it.

4.11 pinion gear ratios replace your stock 3.54 (??) pinion gears and rings (one in each differential) with 4.11 ratio gears. This will raise the amount of revs of the driveshaft required turn your tires once, this in turn will compensate for having the larger tires. The problem is that it costs more then the gas you will spend without them, but I hear it makes it feel better as far as road driving. If you replace them your better off getting HD axles and locking diffs while your at it; total cost will be somewhere around $4500 with all that stuff; minus the cost of installation. Your better off with just sticking with the large tires and lowered power/torque. Check out the pinion gears at www.greatbasinrovers.com

If your using your disco for a ton of off-roading I would definatly take a good look at MT's....more specifically BFGoodrich M/T's. Many people have also had luck with the interco Truxus/IROK's, which are less expensive, but in turn less miles out of them from what ive heard. I doubt that they will give you more mileage out of each tire the an AT, but they are awesome off-road.

As for flex, here is a recent flex shot of my rover (with 3" OME), note that the back tires are in a ditch, so each tire would be able to go higher on level ground. Also note; this is with my front swaybar removed;

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
many people do, I personally think that it felt too loose for road driving, and I like the safety of a sway bars so I opted to keep it/them on, but ive taken the front sway off for trails a couple times to test whether it would be worth getting disconnects and I would say a definate YES!

Though in my opinion its worse on the road without it, it is a ton better off-road. Not only does it allow more flex but it also allows the axle to flex freely so the ride is much more comfortable off-road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.