Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I would like an input on whether I should replace my current disco 1 with a disco 2 or keep it. Here's a bit of background to help your opinion:

Currently own:
95 Disco, 122k miles, 2nd owner. Mechanical problems: None. Cosmetic problems: Some rust have began to show, paint faded on roof and peeling on the hood.

Right now I am looking at potential disco 2's ranging from 3000 to 3500. Mostly from 00' to 02'.

Either I buy another one or invest my current 5k bucks I got reimbursed from school.

The car is currently being priced at 1500 on craigslist taking in considerations the things to be fixed. Although it would sell for parts too I guess.

Things to fix:
-Shocks
-Brakes(disc and pads)
-Paint
-Rear Sunroof
-ABS light
-SRS light( it's just the light, the airbags are functional FYI)

·
Registered
233 Posts
You have the 14 cux ecu the most reliable and if any of your door switches fails you can still bypass the alarm and drive ,the truck is easy to fixe no brainer .
The d2 if any of the hube bearing fail on the 4 corners it is 5/700$ to change bcm that controls everything you have the 3 amigos problem etc
I preferr my 94 because it is simple and i can fix it most of the times .

I like the disco 2004 look but it is like starting again with all the problems.
You need a deep pockets .
And i say those 5000$ keep them in your bank account and keep the disco as is .
Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have the 14 cux ecu the most reliable and if any of your door switches fails you can still bypass the alarm and drive ,the truck is easy to fixe no brainer .
The d2 if any of the hube bearing fail on the 4 corners it is 5/700$ to change bcm that controls everything you have the 3 amigos problem etc
I preferr my 94 because it is simple and i can fix it most of the times .

I like the disco 2004 look but it is like starting again with all the problems.
You need a deep pockets .
And i say those 5000$ keep them in your bank account and keep the disco as is .
Good luck
Thanks Najman for your input

·
Registered
720 Posts
I agree with "najman".

Our '96 D1 needed the roof repainting and some painting in the rear door wells... got it done very well for $300. Do the underbody repainting yourself this summer. Shocks, rotors and pads are not expensive (check at Rockauto) but the ABS fix could cost a bit. Check online about ABS home fixes.... it might just be a bad solder in the ABS control module - there is a Volvo site on this question.
If your '95 is running nicely, keep fixing her a little at a time (yourself if possible) and keep $4000+ of your money in the bank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts