Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do a first oil change and after searching the forum found this post:
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/my-first-oil-change-34348/#post289496

BRAND MEANS NOTHING!!!!!!!! If you turn the bottle over and it does not say that it is ACEA A3/B3 (or A3/B4, or C3) approved, then it does NOT meet that approval!
The article also goes on to suggest Rotella, which I am a fan of, however when looking at the store it does not list ACEA A3/B3. I think it was rated ACEA E9.

Looking through all the choices the only items I saw (this was Walmart btw) with the ACEA A3/B3 rating were M1 'Euro' spec 0W-40 and M1 'High Mileage' 10W-30/40.

But anyway, my questions are 1st what is the stock oil recommendation? I don't know why this info is hard to find, but it is, most cars even my fullsize Chevy pickup say 5W-30 now a days, but just want to check.

2nd is ACEA A3/B3 really the required spec and so probably the M1 'Euro' is the best way to cover it or are there other options that 'exceed' this spec (ie. the Rotella).

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
As per the link posted by Pazzo, if you climate stays above freezing, 15W/50 is a good oil, if you live where it goes below freezing, a 10W/50 or 10W/40 oil is OK.

I am sure you can easily find a lot better oil than Rotella even though it seems to have a following in the US for some reason.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You don't say where you are from. I used 10/40w Castrol Edge for 14 yrs. with no problems. I also went to 15/40w in hot summers. Once I went to 5/40w for an extreme cold winter. Was wife's daily driver and it succeeded to get her there on time for the 14 yrs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.