Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
infantry02disco2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Discovery series 2 SD vin 5. (don't know if it matters).
My dash lights for the TC, ABS, and Hill Descend come on, with the two or three beeps. When I brake hard, or the times i hit Houston "stop-go-stop" traffic. I would like to get some ideas on what the issue(s) might be; brakes, pads, brake lines? I am not entirely sure.

P.s. side note, different topic.
I am thinking about Rhino Lining the disco white, with black (ZEBRA) stripes. thought I'd get feedback from my fellow Land Rover owners.

thanks - Justin
2002 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Vin5.

·
The Zebra
1,179 Posts
Justin,

The previous poster was correct, search for "three amigos" or "3 amigos" here and on Google.

It's a problematic thing with Discovery's.

You might be able to clear up the problem with a handy little gadget called an "ABS Amigo" iirc.

ABS Amigo V1 USB

I have one but it did not work for me. I ended up rebuilding my WABCO POS!

Landy II

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
Usually it's the inside of the ABS modulator that gets contaminated by brake fluid after seals wear out inside of it. The Dealership way of fixing this is to replace the modulator for 2200$, but there is a nice sticky at the top of the Disco 2 page that tells you how to repair and modify the modulator and get rid of the problem for a lot less money. And it's easy too if you have a clean garage to work in.

The first step is to read the fault codes to make sure that the modulator is indeed the culprit. Not all code readers can see the ABS codes on a Disco. As LandyII pointed out, the ABS Amigo is one of the scanners that can. I have the Hawkeye and although it's pretty expensive, I like it a lot. There's a new one that you can buy now that is a lot less expensive, but I don't remember the name. Do a search on this as well.

The 3 amigos is a very common problem with the Disco 2 and it's very easy to find information on the causes and the remedies. So when you ask that question on a forum such as this one, it's very likely you'll get flamed for not having searched before posting a new thread.

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
I just did a search on this, and it's the Autel AL-619 scanner. I don't know if referring to another forum is allowed here, but if you Google Discovery ABS Amigos Autel AL-619 you'll find an interesting thread about this.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
three amigos

Infantry02disco:

I have an 02 Disco 2 and had the infamous three amigos show up one day. Bought a Hawkeye (650 bucks but well worth it if you want to keep the car), cleared the fault codes and have not had a problem since.

On an humorous note; you may wish to buy this tee shirt once the problem is sorted;

have fun! I love the car...

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd like that shirt as well. I feel I have earned it.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
Three Amigos Tee shirt

Hi all;
I found the website that sells this tee shirt - obviously here in South Africa. If you want to, you can order one at:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/130665774/Land_Rover_Discovery_2_Three_Amigos_Novelty_T_Shirt.html

At todays exchange rate it is about 13 bucks cdn plus shipping. You can get different sizes if you want. I an NOT the manufacturer, and I have NO financial interest in selling this product, it is for novelty only that I offer this information.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi all;
I found the website that sells this tee shirt - obviously here in South Africa. If you want to, you can order one at:

Adult Clothing - Land Rover Discovery 2 " Three Amigos" Novelty T Shirt was listed for R120.00 on 11 Feb at 13:16 by LRDisco2 in Cape Town (ID:130665774)

At todays exchange rate it is about 13 bucks cdn plus shipping. You can get different sizes if you want. I an NOT the manufacturer, and I have NO financial interest in selling this product, it is for novelty only that I offer this information.

Enjoy!
I was in South Africa last year visiting some of my Wife's family in Pretoria. you have a great country! Planning to go back as soon as we can.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
visiting South Africa

TRuiz:
If I may be so bold, feel free to join a forum at:

4x4 Community Forum - Powered by vBulletin

when you are planning your trip. This forum rocks! If you want information on camping or camp sites, 4x4 trails, Land Rovers (and all other 4x4s) and more, this is the place.

We are planning a bush trip to the Kgalagadi area of Northern South Africa and southern Botswana to camp where it is very likely the lions will visit the campsite. My only problem is that my Disco 2 Td5 needs a bit of work, new engine mounts and a new exhaust manifold gasket and studs. Of course, I would like a snorkel and a new front bumper too, but all in good time. Only accessible via 4x4, I am debating if we should take the trailer with our camping gear, but in any case I can't figure out why more North American LR enthusiasts don't do overland trips here! You can rent a fully kitted Defender with a roof top tent (by the way, lions can climb, so don't fall for the false sense of security you might get with a roof top tent...) or just buy a used Disco and sell it once your trip is done!!
Love the trails here. Check out the photo of our March trip to a remote campsite called Mabibi (google it, the beaches are fantastic).

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just did a search on this, and it's the Autel AL-619 scanner. I don't know if referring to another forum is allowed here, but if you Google Discovery ABS Amigos Autel AL-619 you'll find an interesting thread about this.
Been researching this as well. it looks like the Autel AL609 will also search and reset Land Rover ABS codes, but this scanner lacks the SRS code reading feature. And it doesn't seem to be any cheaper than the AL619, so kind of moot.

The AL619 can be had for as little as $160 now on Amazon.com. I just bought one.

·
infantry02disco2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey everyone thanks for the info. I am going to be changing out brake lines, pads and rotors. I will also be looking into the AL619. And for the first few comments. I was looking I did see the three amigos posts, but wasn't entirely sure that was the meaning. As for The t shirt ordered 2. My dad just bought a disco 3. Or for the US owners LR3.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
infantry02disco:
How much is the Autel 619 selling for in the States? If it even approaches 400 bucks you may wish to look at the Hawkeye from Atlantic British. It is a Land Rover specific unit, reads and clears fault codes, performs tests on many systems including ACE! It is a weird feeling to have your car 'jumping' at each corner as you test the system out....

But then I am not overly familiar with the capabilities of the Autel unit. If you get one, would you post a report on it? If it works well, I may pick one up this year when I visit Canada.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.