Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello- I just bought a 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE Kalahari a few months ago. After a long trip it started making a squeaking noise at certain speeds- not when braking. My mechanic says it's the U joint in the front drive shaft. The one closest to the CAT. Prob got hot and dried the U joint out. I recently lost one of my jobs so money is tight. Could anyone recommend or have experience with buying a cheaper drive shaft online? I don't have a ton of cash right now and basically just use this truck as a daily driver and not for serious off road stuff.

I'm thinking instead of messing with trying to replace the U joints or rebuild the shaft it would be easier to just bolt on a new front drive shaft. I searched on the forum for some links to some OK/mediocre quality drive shafts but didn't see any so i thought I'd make a thread. Much thanks to all
Cheers mates

Here are some I'm looking at:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-1999-2004-Land-Rover-Discovery-2-Front-Drive-Shaft-Driveshaft-TVB000110/264706936438?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=20160908110712&meid=4e14bbeedaac46f585ee2ae218dc0a0c&pid=100677&rk=1&rkt=30&mehot=lo&sd=113715930789&itm=264706936438&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2386202&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2386202.c100677.m4598

And this one:

Amazon.com: Discovery 2 Front Drive Shaft TVB000110: Automotive

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I bought mine from Lucky8 with greasable zerks. Seems like it was about $200. Several years ago and has worked fine. Completely resolved the grinding sound that I would get while driving. Lucky8.com

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I also bought the serviceable heavy duty shaft from British Parts of Utah. I think they're under 400 now. It's very solid - I've had it over 8 years now without issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Several years ago I purchased the u-joints from a local chain auto parts store and replaced them in a few hours with standard hand tools. No need to change the entire shaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you can afford it Tom Woods front shaft. I agree with Azcactus, you can just replace the U-joint or have new bearings pressed into it. I did that to my old one to have a spare for the trail and it was about $100 bucks in California. I grease my driveshafts every 3,000 miles when i change the oil. I have cooked one before. Also, you can still drive it if you have a center diff lock, without the front shaft. I did for a month because I didn't have time to fix it.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
If you can afford it Tom Woods front shaft. I agree with Azcactus, you can just replace the U-joint or have new bearings pressed into it. I did that to my old one to have a spare for the trail and it was about $100 bucks in California. I grease my driveshafts every 3,000 miles when i change the oil. I have cooked one before. Also, you can still drive it if you have a center diff lock, without the front shaft. I did for a month because I didn't have time to fix it.
LOL - I went a year once, running w/o my front shaft. Not ideal but definitely a easy workaround if you have bad u-joints and need to get that shaft out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts