Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a disco II with 94k on it. When I start it there is a noise in the interior that seems to emanate from the transmission. When outside with the hood open I cannot hear the noise, only in the interior. When driving the vehicle shifts well. Any ideas?

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
No info to go on.

Describe the noise. What's it sound like?
What makes you think it's coming from the transmission?
Does the noise only happen on startup?
Does it happen at EVERY startup, or only when cold?
Does the noise happen in D, N, R?
Does it happen in idle or when moving? If moving, is it RPM dependent?
Are there any trouble codes?

If it sounds like a whirring noise on cold startup it could be your SAI (secondary air injection) pump. Its an emissions feature on our cars that pumps air into the exhaust on cold starts to warm up the cats quicker. Uncommon on other cars and leads people to think there are problems.

If it sounds like water rushing then it's an air bubble in your cooling system that you need to bleed out.

A clicking/tapping/chirping noise accompanied with vibration is caused by failing driveshafts but will only occur under load (when driving).

There is no load on on the TC/Trans when in idle so they shouldn't make noise, but have you checked the fluid levels in both to ensure they're good?

Help us help you. Always describe your problem thoroughly and let us know the steps you've taken so far to diagnose/rectify it.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I am currently experiencing a similar problem. I am getting a chirping noise upon starting off in drive at low speed. If I let off the gas and coast it stops but gets faster as speed of ncreases.If I take it out of gear and rev the engine there is no sound and is not present during idle. I'll take any advice. Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.