Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Alright, I changed the oil today, about 670 miles after the last change. The oil still looked quite clean on the dipstick, but came out black. This tells me that the oil is doing its job to clean the vast amounts of sludge out of the crankcase.

The amount of metal contamination in the filter has vastly reduced since the last change - I really had to look hard to spot any metal, and the metal that was there was much finer than before. This is super encouraging, and tells me that the metal has most likely been in there for a while and isn't something I should be too concerned about.

I changed out the old Quaker State 10W-40 with the recommended 15W-40 Shell Rotella, and I can't believe how much better the engine sounds now. There is basically no ticking under 2,000 RPM now, and the engine sounds much happier in general, with lots of other engine noise now much quieter. It sounds great. That mechanical oil pressure gauge I installed a few months ago acts like a stethoscope, so you hear even the faintest of ticking loud and clear from inside the cabin, but there really isn't any noise below 2 grand (on that note, don't install a mechanical gauge if you can avoid it. After all of the fittings and copper line for my mechanical one, I wasn't too far off from the price of a digital one, which is much quieter, less likely to leak, and easier to install. Learn from my mistakes - go digital). There is still some ticking above 2,000 rpm, but it isn't as loud as it was before. With the slightly heavier weight oil, pressure has increased 1-3 psi across the board as well (it's still on the low side though - 51 cold idle, 9-11 hot idle, 53-54 cold 2k, 37-39 hot 2k). I've only taken it on a short drive to the gas station, but it might make a little more power now as well.
Overall, I'm very happy with the results. I'll keep changing it with the same 15W-40 Rotella, probably with 500-mile intervals. I'm hopeful that the Rotella will help clean out some of the stuff that the cheap oil couldn't, and possibly give me a silent, tick-free engine. Time and miles will tell. I'll report back with any new developments.

Reactions: Troyan2019

·
very disco
1,477 Posts
Lol, there’s a D2 for sale near me, the owner states that it was ticking but has subsided since using shell Rotella. What’re the chances

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Lol, there’s a D2 for sale near me, the owner states that it was ticking but has subsided since using shell Rotella. What’re the chances
So it's not just me lol. The stuff works great - I noticed a big difference after only about a minute or so of idling while checking for leaks (major ones anyway - if your LR is not leaking at least a little fluid then it's empty). Still not perfect, but it's only been in there for a few hours and about 20 miles, so I'm hopeful that with time and miles, it will completely get rid of all ticking. We will see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cheap oil was always an issue with push rod v8's. Mobil 1 10/30 synthetic and my engine was very quiet but the hot oil pressure was a little low 12-10 psi at 188 -190 at 660 rpm after a road run. I switched to RP 10/40 for summer hot idle is much better 17-14 at 660. On both my cold idle was at 50 - 52 and about 41 at 2000 for the 10/30 and 45-46 for the 10/40. Tested with my temporary digital setup.

Both those oils have the required zinc

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Didn't expect to be updating this thread so soon, but both of my trip-worthy Volvos are currently out of commission for various repairs (fuel pump replacement and suspension work, respectively), so I took the Discovery on an 800-mile road trip over the past few days. Definitely unexpected, but it did quite well - surprisingly, nothing broke, and no new noises popped up. With the engine sitting at roughly 2,400 rpm for hours on the highway, I noticed that the oil heats up quite a bit and pressure drops quite low as the oil thins out from the heat - roughly 27-31 psi at 2300-2500. When not super hot with hours of highway runs, it makes decent pressure - same as usual. By the time the trip was over, the tick was certainly worse than before the trip, even when cold, but still quite a bit better than before switching to Rotella. The oil is definitely cleaning out the junk in the crankcase - it is slightly darker on the stick now, and is probably ready for another change. I'll order up some more Rotella, change the oil again in a week or so, and report back with any new findings.

Reactions: Richard Gallant
41 - 45 of 45 Posts