Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Oil pressure readings after this job (including a cleaned pickup and a new oil pump) with 10W40 conventional:
  • Cold idle 52 psi
  • Cold 2k 54 psi
  • Hot idle 24 psi (seems kinda high but the gauge is accurate...)
  • Hot 2k 47 psi
All in all very good oil pressures.
All I had was cheap Walmart 10W40 laying around so that’s what I used. Doesn’t tick, even without using Rotella. I’ll change back to Rotella after a few weeks just to be in the safe side and flush any leftover milky oil out.
I drove the thing a good bit in the last two days, and it runs perfectly with absolutely no noise. Even makes a good bit more power and torque after all that work. Safe to say the engine is back to perfect working order.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Wow....just wow....

Never seen a oil pan and or pickup that bad.

I mean, kudos to you uneffing it. Def not telling ya to worry since you are already invested, I would be highly suspect of that motor and other bearings. But could get another 30k out of it I'm sure.

Not sure if mentioned already but did you clear out the breather honey dipstick on the passenger valve cover? And change that PCV valve? If not, that state of oil would absolutely murder those items

Again, not sure if already addressed

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Wow....just wow....

Never seen a oil pan and or pickup that bad.

I mean, kudos to you uneffing it. Def not telling ya to worry since you are already invested, I would be highly suspect of that motor and other bearings. But could get another 30k out of it I'm sure.

Not sure if mentioned already but did you clear out the breather honey dipstick on the passenger valve cover? And change that PCV valve? If not, that state of oil would absolutely murder those items

Again, not sure if already addressed
Yeah I was surprised how bad it was. I could still see the factory honing marks on the cylinder bores though, which I was shocked by, and everything else seemed to be in decent shape (besides the sludge buildup and clogged pickup) which is why I didn’t just replace the motor. The oil pump was also perfectly fine (I replaced it anyway), and was somehow making 50psi through that clogged pickup.
While tracing down my oil leak, I pulled out the honey stick breather thing. It was completely clogged. Didn’t change the PCV valve though. I’ll order one up. Thanks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
There's a $9 some odd metal PCV valve at AutoZone if you didn't already know. I removed the honey stick and just have the metal PCV valve...not seeing any oil leaks like before.

I mean, if it looks good and sounds good....enjoy GOOD haha.

See photo for PCV valve

Attachments

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Alright, just changed the oil to clean out any leftover sludge and coolant. I was running cheap conventional 10W-40 and a cheap oil filter. Switched to the 15W-40 Rotella and the Mahle oil filter I usually run, and my oil pressure dropped significantly - back to basically the same values as before the job. 12 hot idle, 36 hot 2k, 45 cold. I don’t get it. Is my oil filter too restrictive or something? My tests with oil before I did this job showed better oil pressure with Rotella. I guess I could try switching back to the cheap oil filters at the next change, but I don’t want to drive it like this if the pressure is too low. I don’t want to have to do any more engine work on this thing.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I've only driven it a couple times after the oil change that dropped my pressures (still not exactly sure why that happened), so no real updates since then. Still runs quite smoothly, although I have been pretty gentle with it recently, so there is no saying what is going to happen past ~1/2 throttle or over 3500 rpm. After the PCV work (new valve, removed honey stick) it stopped leaking oil out the front main seal. No other leaks to speak of aside from a very slight coolant leak out of one of the water pump bolts. I'm assuming I didn't use enough sealant on that one. Otherwise everything works as it should. I'll update if anything new develops.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Thanks - I might give that a try. Now that the thing isn’t completely jammed full of sludge I’m not super worried about having the best filtration. Oil pressure is the main concern now. I got the thing nice and hot yesterday and saw as low as 32 psi on the gauge at 2,000 which isn’t good so I think I’ll be switching back.
In other news, I took it up on the highway and did a 2nd gear pull to about 4,500 rpm. It makes great power, but has a metallic thrashing noise at those speeds (starting around 3,800) that gets quite loud as I approached 5k. Not positive what that’s from. It could also be somewhat normal (didn’t really seem like it, but without it I probably wouldn’t have noticed much) - as I’ve stated before my mechanical oil pressure gauge acts like a stethoscope. I also noticed that it started ticking at exactly 2,100 rpm. Perfectly silent above and below. It’s a very quick metallic ticking - like a little British elf is rapidly tapping inside the motor at that rpm. It didn’t do that before I changed the oil. Also not sure what that’s from. It probably has something to do with the new lifters but I don’t know. I’ll drive it some more and swap out that filter and update with changes.

·
Registered
2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 & 1994 RRC County LWB
20 Posts
Use a Purolator classic L40316 Mann filter with Rotella T6 15w40. Also 12 psi is pretty typical for these at hot idle but with that filter it will raise it a bit. Sounds terrible but one way you can clean the hell out of your engine is to drain half the oil out and replace it with diesel fuel and run it at idle for 10 minutes or so and drain it. I wouldn’t do that routinely but every once in a while it’s okay and it cleans quite a bit out. I use diesel to clean parts and stuff too.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
That filter is what I had in before actually I believe. I switched to the Mahle that I usually use and the pressures dropped, so I’ll be going back. That’s also nice because they are like half the cost. I’m running 15W40 Rotella in it right now (T4 not T6 because I’m cheap and I figured it only needs conventional because it’s a 50+ year old design).
I read about a similar trick using ATF. I cleaned the living hell out of everything I could when it was apart to do the head gaskets, so I’m pretty sure I’m set for now. I’ll get the pressures back up with that filter and be happy with a good working engine.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Swapped back to the filter I was using with the cheap oil. It was far less of a mess than I expected. Anyway, my pressures went up a few psi across the board - now 13-14 at idle vs. 11 with the old filter, and 36-38 psi vs 32 with the old filter. Still not as good as with the cheap oil though, so I’m not sure why that’s the case. Also, the sharp rapid ticking at around 2k rpm is still present and gets worse the hotter the oil gets. Of course, the sound is greatly magnified by my mechanical oil pressure gauge. This sound wasn’t present with the cheap 10W-40, so I guess I’ll try switching back next change and see what happens? Not sure what that’s from or why it would start up after switching to Rotella 15-40. I’ll try to get a video of it at some point soon.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Got a video of the noise at 2k rpm.
Not sure what to make of it. I can't hear it outside, and certainly wouldn't be able to hear it without my oil pressure gauge. I also switched back to the old oil after taking that video and the motor sounds identical, but it did gain another 2-3 psi across the board (14-15 hot idle, 38-41 hot 2k). It's (probably) just a coincidence it started up when I changed the oil the first time. I find it strange that the additives in the Rotella wouldn't quiet it down like it did with my old lifter tick - it is exactly the same volume and location in the rev range with either oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got a video of the noise at 2k rpm.
Not sure what to make of it. I can't hear it outside, and certainly wouldn't be able to hear it without my oil pressure gauge. I also switched back to the old oil after taking that video and the motor sounds identical, but it did gain another 2-3 psi across the board (14-15 hot idle, 38-41 hot 2k). It's (probably) just a coincidence it started up when I changed the oil the first time. I find it strange that the additives in the Rotella wouldn't quiet it down like it did with my old lifter tick - it is exactly the same volume and location in the rev range with either oil.
You talking that little click noise?

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Yeah. Only happens at 2k, never above or below. Not sure what to make of it. I’ve just been driving it because it doesn’t seem to impact anything, just kinda weird and slightly annoying so I figured I’d point it out. What oil I run makes no difference for some reason either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah. Only happens at 2k, never above or below. Not sure what to make of it. I’ve just been driving it because it doesn’t seem to impact anything, just kinda weird and slightly annoying so I figured I’d point it out. What oil I run makes no difference for some reason either.
My disco is at 105k and makes the same noise. Has since I bought it and doesn’t hurt anything. I’m pretty sure in order to fix it you’d have to replace the cam/lifters and all that jazz. Not worth it IMO. I’m gonna drive this thing until it dies and possibly LS swap. Does your tick lighten up at times and seem heavier other times?

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
My disco is at 105k and makes the same noise. Has since I bought it and doesn’t hurt anything. I’m pretty sure in order to fix it you’d have to replace the cam/lifters and all that jazz. Not worth it IMO. I’m gonna drive this thing until it dies and possibly LS swap. Does your tick lighten up at times and seem heavier other times?
I just did the lifters in mine, and that’s a new noise, which is why I’m so confused. Got rid of one tick, created another lol. Yes, it does change in intensity. It seems to correlate to the oil temperature - it gets quite a bit more pronounced after highway runs or big hills. It runs perfectly otherwise so I’m not too worried about it, but it does get kind of annoying on the highway. I “fix” it by turning up the radio. Now that everything is new, I’m going to just enjoy it and drive it. When it dies again I think I’m going to do some sort of engine swap as well. Hopefully that’s a long ways off

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just did the lifters in mine, and that’s a new noise, which is why I’m so confused. Got rid of one tick, created another lol. Yes, it does change in intensity. It seems to correlate to the oil temperature - it gets quite a bit more pronounced after highway runs or big hills. It runs perfectly otherwise so I’m not too worried about it, but it does get kind of annoying on the highway. I “fix” it by turning up the radio. Now that everything is new, I’m going to just enjoy it and drive it. When it dies again I think I’m going to do some sort of engine swap as well. Hopefully that’s a long ways off
Yea man it sounds just like mine and it is annoying as hell, but honestly if you love the truck, I think the LS swap option is well worth it and solves virtually all the dumb issues these things come with. I’ve never owned anything with these kinds of problems and I’ve owned almost 30 vehicles at this point with mixed issues.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I’ve had the same experience with mine. None of my 10 or so cars that I’ve owned have had so many problems, especially in such a short time. I’d love to LS swap mine at some point (or something unique like a Mercedes diesel or 1UZ or something). It would give it the much needed extra power and solve most of the problems these things have.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Another general update. It's been a little over 1,000 miles since the last update, and it's still running great (knock on wood lol). Changed the oil today, and it didn't get as dark as quickly as before I cleaned everything out, which is what I expected. The motor still does that weird tapping thing at around 2k rpm, but it doesn't seem to impact anything so I'm going to ignore it. It's far less noticeable than the original tick I got rid of when I did the lifters, so it doesn't bother me that much. I'm guessing it has something to do with me replacing the lifters without replacing the cam, or my rockers are starting to wear out. Oil pressures are around 50 cold, 13-14 idle hot, 34-36 2k hot. Not bad. I'll update again next oil change or if something new develops on this front.

Reactions: reverendALC
61 - 80 of 85 Posts