Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Not much has changed since the last update. It seems to like the cheap oil better for some reason now - the fancy stuff causes that tapping at around 2k rpm to be slightly more pronounced. I’ll go back next change. It’s still nothing compared the the original noise - I can only hear what is going on now because of my mechanical oil pressure gauge, which acts like a stethoscope.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
It’s been 600 miles since I last changed the oil. Nothing has really changed - it still runs like a top. The tapping noise at around 2k rpm that only happens when the oil is hot is still there, but is slightly less noticeable now for some reason. I’ve just elected to ignore it - if it weren’t for my mechanical oil pressure gauge, I wouldn’t be able to hear it at all. It sounds amazing outside. The oil still hasn’t gotten very dark either, which is nice. I guess scooping out multiple pounds of sludge when I did the oil pump/head gaskets/lifters helped with that lol. I’ll probably change it again at 1-2k miles since last change, depending on how it looks. I’ll update if anything new develops.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
Changed the oil today. 726 miles on the oil. It was quite dark, and it sounds far better now with new oil. I used a combo of half Rotella 15W40 and half cheap 10W40 (I didn’t have enough Rotella for a full change) and it sounds really good. Took it on a decently long drive and the ticking at around 2k is completely gone, which is nice. Seems odd that it still gets so dark so quickly but I guess it’s still cleaning stuff out. I’ll update again with new developments.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Okay, it’s been 300 miles since I changed the oil last, and I can say with certainty that all signs of ticking or tapping are completely gone, and it sounds like a new truck. I’m very happy with how it sounds now - aside from a small exhaust leak and a mild heat shield rattle, it sounds wonderful.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts