Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My disco has developed an unusual and annoying noise. When started and the accelerator pushed very slowly a whiny growl occurs until the revs hit the 800 to 1000 rev mark and disappears when the engine performance increases. However on de accelaration and slowing down, the growl licks in again at about 1000 revsand remains until the revs drop tothe 500 mark again. This noise is very audible inside - while driving and very obvious when you get under the car, but is very difficult to hear from directly under the bonnet. Very perplexing and difficult to source , anyone come up against a similar prob or any info gratefully accepted. got me stumped. Already kitted the turbo no joy. new manifold gasket and checks no go ???? cheers

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
How many miles on it and what have you checked so far?

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
I'll trade you my V8 disco for your TD5. Mine doesn't growl. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
unusual noise

noise- told it was turbo no had it kitted. told it was leaking manifold. replaced and had manifold skimmed first. Tried searching for noise source with stethescope etc but no go. The noise is a whiny growl but only kicks in when the engine hits 500 to 1000 revs Can't hear it when revs are up. However when slowing down the whine kicks in again when revs are decreasing in the 1000 to 700 range. The noise is very clear when inside the cab but most times difficult to hear when you listen under the bonnet. The noise is there when the car is stationary as well as when it is moving which makes me certain it is an engine prob only. Going to take fan belt off and run to see if it is any of the pulleys / bearings etc, but don't think so. Strange that it is clearer when laying under car and listening, but still only there at those specific rev range. My disco has just clicked over 350000 but previous owner was fastidious in every dept and vehicle , even under bonnet is meticulous and until this noise runs as sweet as a nut. Had it checked out by landrover agents in Auck and was told it was the tightest and best rover they had seen for its age and mileage. Had usual faults ie 3 amigos- had modulator rebuilt- no more probs, and replaced air suspension with springs and shut off control system for this. I don't tow etc and don;t need the fancy up and down crap. and of course the dreaded fuel pump scenario had a new one of those too. but generally thats it. Has its oil changes at 10 thou spot on every time and both filters at same time no question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
noise

landy is an auto Noise starts as I gently press accelerator, and does not become inaudible until revs are up in the 1000 plus. Today noticed(the car engine was cold, engine start idle is 800 revs as I gently touched accel the growly whine started and is quite noticable. The noise is hard to describe but it is like a hum with a gentle rumble and lifts in intensity as the accel is pressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My disco has developed an unusual and annoying noise. When started and the accelerator pushed very slowly a whiny growl occurs until the revs hit the 800 to 1000 rev mark and disappears when the engine performance increases. However on de accelaration and slowing down, the growl licks in again at about 1000 revsand remains until the revs drop tothe 500 mark again. This noise is very audible inside - while driving and very obvious when you get under the car, but is very difficult to hear from directly under the bonnet. Very perplexing and difficult to source , anyone come up against a similar prob or any info gratefully accepted. got me stumped. Already kitted the turbo no joy. new manifold gasket and checks no go ???? cheers
air compressor on rear suspension I just located this source of what id been trying to identify daily for 5+ months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts