Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
very disco
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... so i have a set of 5 20" RRSSC wheels with trail blade 275/50/20 tires. i like them, and they fit perfectly at stock height.

i also have a fresh set of 5 of the 19" LR3 wheels, but the largest tire i can find is 31" and not economical and won't look good with a 2" lift.

i've also got the OEM set of 5 hurricanes with 255/55/18 in great condition.

i'm looking at the 2" OME HD lift before front/rear steel bumpers and winch go on.

should i be looking at bigger tires for the 20" wheels? i know they're not super practical for wheeling, but i took them out once already and they did great. my only concern is scraping them.

can anybody point me toward a 33" tire for the 19" LR3 wheels?

or should i get some 33" treadwrights for the 18" hurricanes? i'm leaning toward this, but my 20" wheels are freshly powder coated gunmetal, and my 19" LR3 wheels are freshly coated matte black... my hurricanes will need refinishing. i can have them done for $500, and get the treadwrights for around $500...

new tires for the 20" wheels will set me back about $850, but i'm also thinking about putting these wheels/tires onto my RRS to replace the stupid 19s... i'm about $1550 into these so far (wheels/paint/rubber)
i'm $740 into the LR3 wheels right now, and the 31" wranglers will be about $1250, putting me at 2k all in going this route.
powder coating the 18s will run me 500, plus 500 for the 33" treadwrights, totaling only $1000. this is economically appealing, plus i'll have a set of 5 really nice BFG 255/55/18 tires to sell off...

but then i've got these LR3 wheels with nothing to do. i thought about buying an LR3, but i still can only find the 31" wranglers and nothing better (or cheaper), so that won't help.

i keep going back and forth. somebody help me make up my mind

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I bought some used 20in wheels off of a range rover to use on my 04 disco. At the time I bought them 18in tires were real rare/expensive especially in the off road version. Since then, jeep put 18s on everything. They have become much more common/affordable since then. Having said that, the 20in wheels, for me, still make more sense and are still far more available. Especially in the used market. A 275/55/20 is real close to 33in and this size is readily available in a street tread pattern. The tires I use are a 35x12.50 Firestone destination MT and a 275/55/20 street tires that work real well for all terrains at the beach...just my 2 cents. I would scrap 19in wheels. Good luck. I hate decisions like this too

·
very disco
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree... I really REALLY like the chunky 19” LR3 wheels but in 255/60/19 there are two tires:

Wrangler (which everybody says the sidewalls puncture just by looking at them)
Falken (not aggressive enough)

So I have informally decided to scrap the 19s.

I really think I’d like to put the 20s on my RRS. They’re painted the same color gunmetal (coincidence, I had them powder coated before I bought the range).

I wouldn’t mind keeping them on the disco but I’m getting ready to lift it so the 275/50/20 tires won’t be large enough /-: I have no issue replacing the tires, but what will I do with the brand new trailblades?

It seems like the easiest thing to do (that checks all of my boxes) is:

Swap 20s to RRS
Scrap 19s
Powder coat 18s and get some bigass treadwrights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts