Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help? I have recently purchased a 300tdi Disco auto. I recently took it off road and found that i couldn't engage diff lock. The whole thing seems stiff!
I can just about with a bit of wiggling get it in high/low range but diff lock no way! Seems like it set in concrete! I don't think it has ever been off road in its life! Can anyone help? Also its a bit lazy on start up. Have changed the battery/fuel filter and given it a major service. Please help this is drivng me nuts and the dealer up the road wants to charge me a small fortune just to diagnose it!

Thanks for any help given.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Pretty common for a Rover if it hasn't been used alot in the lock positions. You are going to need to spend some time under the truck cleaning and lubing to linkage arms, and slowly try to shift it with out bending the arms. It will free up, just take time.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Same Problem

RedRhinoProducts said:
I agree, hit it hard with PB Blaster and put on the waiting cap.

www.get-rhino.com we need the exposure.
I think I've got the same problem with the '98 Disco I just bought. I'm going to tackle it this weekend. What's PB Blaster and where can I get it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only way to do this effectivly is from inside the car, removing the centre console and getting to the linkage, pop rivets will need drilling out to release the rubber gator. DO NOT force the Diff Lock selector other wise you will force the splines off the shaft. Spray release oil onto the shaft and then grease. The problem is a steel shaft running through a aluminium hole. The job will take an hour . I tried from under the car but it does not last.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fixed Mine!

Woo hoo! Looks like my first LR repair worked. I'm no longer stuck, Diff-Lock works great now :clap:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Thanks for the info....

Hello all from NYC.

Just picked up an 1996 Disco I and yep, the diff lock is seized, too. I am waiting for the remaints of the most recent hurricane to go by and then it will be my turn under and over the Disco.

Thanks for the mentioning how to ...if someone could provide quick photos for those LR rookies, it would be appreciated.

Happy Rovering.

Adam :clap:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes photos would be great

1 - 11 of 11 Posts