Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there and Happy Holidays from Adam in the Big Apple. :drive:

I have a 1996 Disco I with the seized Diff Lock.

Two questions: If anyone has been able to free it, how ? How do you remove the knob without making a mess and ruining the woodwork?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Common problem, having the shifter not move to the CDL side. You ar going to need to clean and lube the t/case linkage from the bottom and most likely the top. Be careful not to force the shifter, you can bend the linkage. To remove the t/case shifter, I believe you just pull up on it, I don't think your screws off. The trans. shifter knob come off by pressing in the shift button and pull up hard.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I freed my own, and several others with just a firm wiggle, while rolling forward at a slow speed (0 to 5 mph) in neutral. Lube is always good, too! Mine now moves quite freely, works real well. . . . .I strongly recommend engaging the low range & diff-lock operations of your Rover on a monthly basis at least, just to keep things moving freely. It's also a good excuse to get off road on a regular basis. Thank You, LRW. :wave:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Adam, if you need any help just let me know (I work downtown by the WTC).

John C.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your swift replies.....

Sorry but things have been hectic over at the job ( a real saltmine, I work EMS at Central Booking). Many thanks and I will let the list know how I fare with this little bugger.
:clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts