Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1990 Disco, 3.9L w/ ZF trans,anyway, I started the Disco the other day and the engine started and idled for a few minutes then quit, now the engine cranks over and it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. It has a new fuel pump. I can hear the fuel pump on for a few seconds when I turn the key on.There is no fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Anyone experienced this problem?

Kind regards,
Karover

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Did you or have you replaced the fuel filter?
When you say there is no presure at the rail, is that after you have tried to start it?
How is the presure at the rail if you just turn the key on the the 2nd position 2 times without trying to start it?
Mike J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel filter was replaced, I have tried turning the key in the second position twice, but still no fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You say you can hear the fuel pump for a couple of seconds, well that is the pump priming the rail, it will shut off unless the engine is started. If your rail is not getting pressure and the pump is making noise as if it is priming, there is either a blockage in the fuel line between the pump and the rail or the pump is fried.
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The pump cannot be fried if you can hear it working. Despite the fact that you changed out the fuel filter, it could still be block with crud if you have a dirty tank (water, bad fuel & crud). I'd re-check all the fuel lines from the pump onwards.
If all the above fails to produce results......are you getting a spark when you crank the engine?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts