Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More often than not when I try to fill up my 98 Disco, it will take about 2 gallons, then back up in the filler neck and I have to trickle it in as slow as the pump will go in order to fill it up (about ten minutes). Any ideas? I'm guessing it's not venting properly but I don't know where to start. I tried disconnecting the vent line right under the rear quarter panel while fueling, but that didn't help. And I am filling up from empty...

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Did you check the filler neck hose to make sure it wasn't collapsed?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a look at the filler neck and it seemed to be fine. It looks like it has a hard outer shell, so I wasn't able to completely make sure it wasn't collapsed without taking it off. Do I need to do this, or as long as it looks stiff from the outside should it be ok? I was thinking some sort of venting problem, because I filled up since posting this, and it took fuel no problem. Who knows what will happen the next time. Where should I start on diagnosing if it isn't the filler neck? Thanks for your help

· Registered
3,198 Posts
I've found that pouring some injector cleaner (a tablespoon or so) in the little hole for the vent and letting it sit overnight frees up the little float ball and lets you fill it normally.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are these the two small holes inside the gas cap?

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Are these the two small holes inside the gas cap?
Um, no. All the ags cap does is keep the gas from evaporating out of the gas tank and keep water and dirt out of the gas tank.

Remove your gas cap, look at where you put the gas pump nozzle, there is a big hole and a small hole, the small hole is the vent hole.
When you put gas in the air inside the tank has to come out, thats why the small hole is there.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Um, those are the ones I was talking about.

I'll try some injector cleaner in those and see what it does.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did some looking around today and it seems there was a recall/repair thing from rover about this. I assume the injector cleaner is cleaning this anti trickle valve. Apparently it closes when the tank gets close to full, but leaves room for vapors and kicks the fill nozzle off by making the fuel back up in the neck. If it sticks prematurely though I would imagine it would cause symptoms like mine. Just thought this might help someone in the future so I decided to post it. I haven't had to fill up yet to find out if the cleaner helped or not but i'll post whenever I do

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...UKz_Z0qQQ&sig2=lfRJgRlx-_Mzqd54_HdRCw&cad=rja

I found the part on roverparts.com so if the cleaner doesn't free it up it looks like I can get a replacement like they did in the recall

Land Rover Fuel System Parts | Fuel Filler Trickle Valve

· Registered
3,198 Posts
Yeah, that's what clogs up that the cleaner frees.
On my wife's '97 it was a royal pain. Last year I added some injector cleaner a couple of times and no problems since.

· Registered
14 Posts
It was the fuel filler

I stood there for 10 minutes slowly filling the tank to each time the pump kicked back, rock the car and start again. So I have put injector cleaner down the 2 vent holes and we shall see what happens.

PITA but better than having to put a new fuel pump in!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did the same rocking thing, looked crazy at the pump I'm sure. But I did the fuel injector thing in the two vent holes and after a few applications/tanks, I have had no further problems. And I could barely fill up before, I think you're definitely on the right track!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.