Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My wife and are LR newbies but we have the opportunity to buy a very very clean 1996 Discovery. Stats are SD model with 62k we have records from the seller for every transaction every single one including gas (always 93 Octane and all oil changes using synthetic. Clean Carfax. The guy only drove this car to work. He has an M5 for "driving" or so he says

The seller upgraded to a 5 disc CD/MP3 changer and changed all speakers with some pretty nice Alpines, custome tinting all all windows, Billstein Shocks, OME steering stablizer, KnN lifetime airfiler, magnecor ignition wires. Plus the truck just got new breaks and tires.

All of this for 8k. In your opinion does this represent a good deal, is there anything we should look for or be weary of?

The seller also has a set of crome wheels plus spare (total of 5) with Michelin Synchrone Tires for $1500. Whats your opinon on those?

Thanks all help is very much appreciated!

Robbie

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Robbie,
When I went to buy my used Disco, it was in mint condition and I paid for that condition. If you like the truck and if you have it checked out first by a good dealer, mainly for oil and coolant leaks and it is OK then I would sayit is a little pricey but has some nice upgrades and maintance records so buy it.
Have fun with the truck,
Mike J.
99D2

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I just sold a high milage 96 D1 for about a third of what you are looking at. That said, it was just your basic, dated, and shabby SD.
Generally, an SE model of that vintage is selling in the $6k to $7K range.
For very little more than the price range you are suggesting, you can find a first year series 2. If you are also considering some offroading, despite what some will say, the longer wheelbase will not be a hinderance, except it the most extreme approach or departure situation. The interior of the '96 is dated, and if you go to a dealer where you are able to compare them side by side, you will find the interior of the Series II disco more pleasing. The later Bosch engine management is more reliable than Gems, although a well maintained Gems version is not really that unreliable.
Series one Discos were not built the same way as series II, and rust can be a serious issue in doorposts, rear wheel arches, and rear floor seams, especially true in areas where salt is used.
If you are looking at this purchase for an extra car, where daily use isn't expected, an you can verify service history from birth, go for an SD or SE D1, If it's going to be a daily driver, which you need to rely on, a good Series II will be a better choice. All Land Rovers are more maintainance reliant than other makes, but, well maintained, give back a whole lot more pleasure.
That's just my opinion, backed somewhat by 30+ years of Land Rover ownership, of every model they ever made, except for the most recent, high-end variety.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The differences between an SD and an SE are Trim level.The SE7 was a 7 seater SE, but there are plenty of SDs with original jump seats too. Not all SDs had sunroof(s). Leather was optional on the SD, std on the SE. Then there's all the electric DoDahs.
The real stuff that counts was all the same, like beneath the bonnet.
With all the chatter about naming their landies, someone compared them to women. The one with the nice T&A are not anymore likely to have a good heart than the plainjanes. ( Which is not to say the T&A aren't great, often more for amusement value, and often higher maintainance)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The general rule in buying vintage cars, collector cars, exotic cars and Land Rover trucks is to buy, within your model selection, the very best condition you can afford. It will always cost you more to restore than to buy someone elses restoration (excepting stupid moves).

Two cents please.

rick / tulsa
'96 Discovery SD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts