Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took ownership of my 99 and am sorting out some of the stuff that came with the truck. My most recent project involves the replacement of the aftermarket radio (Pioneer) with an Alpine unit. Radio is installed and the FM works fairly well, but I get no AM at all (yes, occasionally I still do use it) . The installer found a powered unit in line with the factory antenna, said it didn't work, cut the power lead and removed it. He put it in the box and gave it back after installing the radio.

Can anyone educate me on the antenna on my disco? I presume (and I know that can get me into a heap of trouble) that the two rear windows contain the antenna wire, and the removed device was a filter/amplifier for the low gain antenna, but I really can not be sure at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
RobX4 said:
I recently took ownership of my 99 and am sorting out some of the stuff that came with the truck. My most recent project involves the replacement of the aftermarket radio (Pioneer) with an Alpine unit. Radio is installed and the FM works fairly well, but I get no AM at all (yes, occasionally I still do use it) . The installer found a powered unit in line with the factory antenna, said it didn't work, cut the power lead and removed it. He put it in the box and gave it back after installing the radio.

Can anyone educate me on the antenna on my disco? I presume (and I know that can get me into a heap of trouble) that the two rear windows contain the antenna wire, and the removed device was a filter/amplifier for the low gain antenna, but I really can not be sure at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
I think you got plenty of education there. The reception on the factory Pioneer radio suffered due to the quality of antenna used. After a certain year, they added a FM amplifier to the antenna lead.

If you are having problems with the AM, it maybe the radio or the antenna connection. Change either and you will do okay. You probably have an open connection on the antenna wire somewhere.

Adam in NYC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.