Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 Series II Disco Auto. When cold it has no power. For instance if parked on an incline it has no power to pull away. Even when you depress the accellerator fully it will stand still and the engine revolutions remain static. Problem goes away when heated up. Is this common or what could be the problem?

·
Registered
317 Posts
DiscoPat,
How many miles on the truck? When was the tranny and tcase fluid last changed?

Bogatyr

·
Registered
7 Posts
DiscoPat said:
Even when you depress the accellerator fully it will stand still and the engine revolutions remain static.
Are you saying that the RPM does not change? It stays at an idle?

That could be as simple as a throttle linkage problem. But I have no idea why it would change when it warms up ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is this a diesel? I've read something about later model diesels having a drive-by-wire throttle (or maybe I'm hallucinating again). Anyway, the rack in the inj. pump could be sticking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it is a TD5. The rpm's increase to a point and then remains there without having enough power to make the Disco move.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Aha!

DiscoPat said:
Yes, it is a TD5. QUOTE]

TD5 is cableless, 'fly -by-wire' throttle. You're going to need the dealer to hook up his computer, but I have to say, I think it is an ecu, or electrical problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Td5

Hello Mate,

Sounds like air flow or EGR fault, also there are position settings on the throttle. Can be done by an independant with decent equipment i run autologic and it is more than capable.

Or for more power you could chip it i fit Twisted Performance at £395+vat great for the model you drive.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advise. Before I can solve this problem antoher one has arised (which might be related to this problem). When trying to start in the morning the motor only turns slightly and then "locks" (as if the battery is flat). Sometimes it would start but come to an abrupt stop. After a few attempts it runs but emits a lot of black smoke. Once heated-up its fine. Somebody told me it could be the injectors, or just one, that is not cutting-off and dripping diesel into the cylinder. Do you think this is possible?

PS. I have also noted that it runs very uneven when starting up when hot, but this disappears after you rev it a couple of times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
blackdown 4x4

They do have injector seal problems, and also the injector loom in the head causes misfiring due to oil ingression. Without seeing it???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts