Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I found these pictures on cardomain, and you as well can search for them if you go to www.cardomain.com and search for Land Rover Discovery. Anyways I have this same exact Disco as the person who converted their headlights to the newer models lights and I want them too! Any suggestions on where I should start? Could the local mechanic do it? I want those headlights! :) :drive:

· Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Here is what i did on one of my RRs..

That is sweet, I wanted to do the same thing to my RR, alas i think there is much too much metal in the way. I had a 91 that i put some hella 500's near the original lights, and mimicked this look, and was super cheap to do ( $59.00 ) Looked great! although i was about an eight of an inch off on the right side..

I have an ARB on the current RR, so its not possible

Dan

· Registered
70 Posts
those are the headlights from the 03 and 04 models, and i have been to that page, you might not want to tackle that job since i believe it involves some cutting of the current metal and such. just go to roversnorth.com and get the regular d2 headlights (like from 99-02) - they are plug and play with a d1, and only $130. the newer lights like you were looking at include the turn signal and are major expensive. just some tips.

· Registered
709 Posts
03' conversion

Hey there - those pics looked a bit familiar. That's actually my 2000 Disco. I'm glad you liked the way it turned out. I actually just finished repainting the grille and will post some new pics. The conversion was a bit more than bolting on the new lamps. There's some cutting and once you start cutting there's no turning back. There's also quite a bit of rewiring. I don't want to discourage anyone from doing it, in fact if you have questions I'll try as much as I can to answer them. It could be exspensive, but keep your eyes on Ebay!

· Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Carlos said:
Dan;
You may also want to consider the front euro-specs. 4-light grille for your Classic.They look really nice!!!
Carlos
Yeah those have been around for a while, I was trying to give the front end of this RR a more updated look. Similar to the New RR and Disco. Ill admit its a cheap A$$ way to do it, but then again .. it was cheap to do too!.. I cant fit a Euro-Spec grille to my RR because i have an ARB bumper.. an the lights would be blocked by the Hellas most likely..

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ibjettin said:
Hey there - those pics looked a bit familiar. That's actually my 2000 Disco. I'm glad you liked the way it turned out. I actually just finished repainting the grille and will post some new pics. The conversion was a bit more than bolting on the new lamps. There's some cutting and once you start cutting there's no turning back. There's also quite a bit of rewiring. I don't want to discourage anyone from doing it, in fact if you have questions I'll try as much as I can to answer them. It could be exspensive, but keep your eyes on Ebay!
hope you're not mad i borrowed ur pics, just wanted to show everyone. Plus i want them on my car. The only thing i noticed is how big they look because of the white rim you removed under the headlights and you replaced it with a blending black piece which makes the headlights taller in appearance. How many hours did it take to get the job done?

· Registered
709 Posts
I'm not mad at all :D I actually posted them so people could check it out. Before I began the conversion I was searching the internet for ANY help at all. I found one page: http://www.disco2.com/howto/
I'm hoping to put together my own guide on how to do it and post it soon. the converson took me a couple of days, but it could be done in one. I did decide to paint the finishing trim black so the lamps looked much larger, I also painted the front grille.

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
I love those lights. Anybody know if a D1 can be converted to these lights? I know it might take some work, but I have been working on cars for along time and what I cannot do my father can. He also does body work so cutting and painting wouldn't be a problem. Just wondering how much you had to cut and would doing this on a D1 be a similar job as to what it takes to do on a D2?

· Registered
709 Posts
It would be a bit more work on a D1, but I think it can be done. You will have to change the front fenders as well. It also takes a bit of cutting - it seems like you and your dad could knock it out without an problem. I have pics of the work I've done to my 2000 D2. Send me an email and I could provide you with more info.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Malc said:
You could run it into Orange County Choppers or is that the wrong Orange county?

New York is the state that Orange County Choppers is in :) .

4,346 Posts
apbtpetey said:
I love those lights. Anybody know if a D1 can be converted to these lights? I know it might take some work, but I have been working on cars for along time and what I cannot do my father can. He also does body work so cutting and painting wouldn't be a problem. Just wondering how much you had to cut and would doing this on a D1 be a similar job as to what it takes to do on a D2?
I was looking through CarDomain and found this, first time I had ever seen it...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/316739/2

It's not the real thing...but Photoshopping it indicates that it looks pretty damn good.Would like to see a 3/4 shot of a D1 wih 03 Lights.

· Registered
709 Posts
apbtpetey said:
IBJETTIN,

Check your e-mail. I sent you something in your e-mail about doing this conversion on a D1.
I thought I got back to you?? :dunno: Sorry, I do get a lot of emails about the conversion. I try to get to all of them, but it gets difficult.

The picture shows the answer to your question about DI and (03'-04' DII) differences. The biggest difference that would prevent this mod on a DI is the front fender. You could see where the front turn signal is, it slopes down a bit. The DII's are more squared off. This is why you would change the front fenders. I believe it is true that the 99.5'-2002 DII headlamp fits a DI, but in 2003 they changed the entire unit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.