Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, and I have a few questions. Is there a headlight for a series II that has a clear lens? My second question is has anyone done a true BI-Xennon conversion or even a true HID conversion, or even seen one for that matter. My research seems to be leading to dead-ends. I know it is possible to do, I have seen them on everything under the sun. Just wondering if anyone knows. The Clear headlight lens would make the HID a lot cleaner on my 01 disco.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
There have been several good articles recently about converting earlier Discos to the '04 headlights. I think there was one in a recent edition of LRE. Requires some modifications, and it doesn't come cheap. Seems easier to trade it in on an '04 than try to make it look like it was.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...Is that the only way that I can get clear lenses is to do the swap to an 03-04 headlight? I was hoping that i might find a clear for the stock to do and HID conversion.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
in the US, headlight street HID conversions are illegal....

I am sorry to say. I was going that route and then I did some investigating. If you are going to use HID, you would have to buy off-road only HID like the Hella 4000s.

If you install HID in your headlights, it might not pass your next inspection. The National Traffic agency states that the only HID is factory-installed HID for street use.

If you are using for off-road use only, then great.

What I ended up doing was finding voltage boosters for my 1996 D1 (they use H4 lighting) and installing them for hotter and brighter use.

Good luck.

Adam in NYC

· Registered
709 Posts
TerryS said:
There have been several good articles recently about converting earlier Discos to the '04 headlights. I think there was one in a recent edition of LRE. Requires some modifications, and it doesn't come cheap. Seems easier to trade it in on an '04 than try to make it look like it was.

I did the conversion a couple of months ago and found barely any info out there on how to do it. If you could, do you think you could find out what issue the article was in? I'd love to read it. I was trying to find out as much as I could on the process but came up dry. So I decided to just do it. Heck, what's the worst that could happen right??? It turned out awsome. I wasn't going for the 03-04 look completely, just the headlamps. I get request all the time on how I did it and where I got the info - http://www.disco2.com/howto/ has the install directions on the site. Although I used this install as reference I did not follow it completely.
If you are interested email me and I will do what I can to help you out. It is exspensive depending on where you get the parts. I could tell you I did mine for less than $1,000 more like $500. I'm cheap though ;)

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I have never seen a clear lense for either D1 or D2 headlamps, are you sure they are even made? The fresnel lense is a necessary part of the focus and dip angle. Neither have I seen HID lamps which go into H4 housings. I know Hella makes a variety of HID lamps, but no H4, nor does Sylvania/OSRAM.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plan is to attempt a retro fit of a BMW Bi-xennon HID system into either a 99-01 housing or into the 03-04 housing, It does require modification though. I'm not sure that they even make a clear lens for series 2 except for the 03. I do appreciate the help, and advice. Thanks

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
volt. booster

I have heard a lot about the voltage boosters for the stock lights. what exactly do you get from these? Is it brighter, whiter lights? Can a Sylvania Silverstar bulb be used in conjunction with the kit? And where exactly can I find such a boost kit? Thanks

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Go to ebay.....

TerryS said:
I have never seen a clear lense for either D1 or D2 headlamps, are you sure they are even made? The fresnel lense is a necessary part of the focus and dip angle. Neither have I seen HID lamps which go into H4 housings. I know Hella makes a variety of HID lamps, but no H4, nor does Sylvania/OSRAM.
There are retrofit kits for H4 (HB4) available from Taiwan and Hong Kong (go Hong Kong for the best price and shipping , even though it is Red China).

Here are two searches on eBay using "h4 kit" and the second with the word "harness":

http://search-desc.ebay.com/h4-hid-...nZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

http://search-desc.ebay.com/h4-hid-...nZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Ebay for the H4 boosters....

HFsdisco said:
I have heard a lot about the voltage boosters for the stock lights. what exactly do you get from these? Is it brighter, whiter lights? Can a Sylvania Silverstar bulb be used in conjunction with the kit? And where exactly can I find such a boost kit? Thanks
on eBay:

http://search-desc.ebay.com/h4-boos...Z1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQftsZ2QQsacatZ6028QQsojsZ1

What am I? The eBay salesman? :D
I guess I am , since I got my D1 on eBay. :lol:

Expect twice the light output, half the bulb life, and BOY can you see! Any down side: expect shorter bulb life and the boosters will draw more current but nothing you should worry about. Also expect hash on the AM radio reception.

If in doubt,about burning up your headlight wiring, order the cheap ($25-$50)H4 upgrade wiring harness so your lights have a new direct path to the battery. The lights will then look factory bright. Imagine that then with the voltage boosters.

The only way you know you got the boosters is when you turn them on for the first time cold, the lights turn on then after a half second they get BRIGHT. My kit came with 110/140w replacement bulbs but I will wait until I upgrade the wiring harness first.

I am still using my original bulbs and they are burning white not yellow as in the original stock. I bought legal yellow Eurolights to complete the upgrade but the originals are still burning so why bother to change it?

Use the stock cheapie bulbs first if not your originals and if you want to see the difference with Silverstars, go ahead. I think after installing the boost kit, you are going with the lifetime warranty Eurolights and just swap them back when they burn out. ;)

Adam in NYC

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
down side???

There really seems to be no downside to the booster kit, and seeing that I don't listen to AM radio, I shouldn't have any problems.... I wonder how that would work with an 03-04 headlamp swap and voltage booster, since the lenses are clear, it would be brighter still. I really want to brighten up the road. I drive on some old country two lane highways all the time so at night when the deer are out it can get interesting. I want to see them a lot sooner. HAHA

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
There are other things to prevent deerstrike-

You could get those Hella lights that have the spread beam (I think they call it cornering) pattern for you to see.

But why not buy those ultrasonic deer whistles to convince them not to bounce off your Land Rover investment?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.