Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Disco can sense the key when it goes in but will not turn at all. I have tried all the tricks seen in other threads but nothing has worked. The gear shifter is locked and will not move at all. When i had it towed to my house the tow driver had an issue with the wheels because they are completely locked.

Any advice?
Please help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The ignition switch is a common source of frustration on DIIs. In the case of my truck and several others I've read about, inserting the key fully and then backing it out slightly while trying gently to turn it works. Don't force anything; just keep trying to turn it while backing out the key until you find the sweet spot.

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
It’s true! You’ll want to try all gentle variations:

in/out
up/down
Crooked both ways
Oscillation
Gyration

if you can imagine the movement, try it. If you’ve ever used “jigglers” you’ll know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have had the same problem. Although the key goes in either way, I have found that it will not start with one certain side up. I just put a hash mark on the plastic and make sure I always insert that side up. Also moving the steering wheel back and forth will help unlock it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Some find that doing the Macarena while trying to start their truck helps ...

Reactions: JUKE179r

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had that happen to me in my old 97 disco I. The problem turned out to be the brake pedal switch. I replaced it and everything started working again. Check and set if your brake lights are working properly. It's a very easy fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts