Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2000 Disco II about a month ago with 37000 miles. I feel I got a great deal on it, but there were some known problems with it when I got it, but nothing major (just maintenance issues). There was a service campaign sticker under my hood, so I contacted the dealership. They said it was in right before the warranty expired and covered the reset of the check engine light, replaced the fuel pump, Mass Air Flow sensor, airbox, air filter, and replaced a leaky seal on the differential. In addition, at the time of service it was recommended the owner get 4 new tires, alignment, and new brakes. I replaced the tires and wheels with a set of range rover 19" wheels. It doesn't feel like it needs an alignment, but I want to get it checked anyways. Land rover says it costs $250 for an alignment, is there anything special that needs to be done that it can only be done at the dealership.

Also, what are my options for replacing the brakes? Roverconnection.com lists the parts alone at $512 for 4 rotors and front/rear pads. I am not sure if it needs rotors or not, but if I have to, should I stick with factory parts or upgrade to Brembo? I am brining it in for a recall (ABS module) next week, and I am going to have them do an inspection to recommend any service at the same time. So far I have had no problems, and it has only been 500 miles since the dealership said there was only 5mm's left on the pads. Any advice would be appreciated, I don't want to waste my money at the dealership if it is not neccesary.

Chris

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Chris,
Sounds like a nice truck, what do yo plan to do with it as far as off road and or modifications?
If you need rotors, Brembo is a good way to go, make sure to shop around for prices. Stay with factory or Brembo pads unless you up grade to slotted and drilled rotors then you may want to step up to kevlar pads. Make you when you have the brakes done, do a full brake flush.
Alignments are easy on Rovers, that dealer is trying to screw you. Most goood alignment shops will charge under $100, all you have to do is a Toe setting. Since you have put new tires on, you should have the alignment checked, especially if the old tires were showing inner or outer rib wear.
You might want to look at buying a extended warranty for you truck, they are great to have and on a Rover, I hate to say it, but they will pay for them selves.
You might also want to consider doing your own brake job and really save some money, they are easy to do, a few tools and less then 2 hours and you are done.
Let us know how it is going,
Mike J.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information on the alignment, it sounded like the dealer was trying to screw me, but I figured I should ask because I thought maybe there was something unique to Land Rovers that I should just have the dealership do it. The disco didn't come with any factory keys, so I bought 2 brand new unprogrammed keys with barcode from a dealer on eBay for $110. Better than the $120 the dealer wanted for 1. They are going to program both of them for $80 plus do a recall at the same time. They told me they would also do an inspection for recommended service. I figured I could take their recommendations and do everything myself except the alignment. Honestly, I don't plan on doing much serious offroading. Just mostly driving it to camp sites, ski passes, etc. We don't get much snow here, but we go up to Vancouver B.C. a bunch, and it will come in handy there. I just don't want to waste any money on the brakes if they don't need upgrading. I saw on eBay someone selling front and rear drilled brembo rotors for $250. Just didn't know if I should go this route, or stay with factory equipment.

Chris

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
At your mileage I would drop some pads on and leave the rotors alone until the next brake job is required, with one exception, when you brake do you get any brake shutter? If you do yo many have some thin rotors, otherwise leave well enough alone for now other then bleeding the brakes.
Mike J.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

I don't experience any problems with the brakes right now. The rotors look good to me. The pads were measured in June, and since then, there have only been about 500 miles since that service (vehicle was traded in at the June service, and wasn't sold until early December). Land Rover says they recommend replacing the pads at 3mm, and they were measured in June at 5mm's all the way around. Like I said, I figured I would have them check the rotors at the same time, and then perform the work myself.

Do you think I should flush the entire brake system, or only bleed the brakes?

Chris

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Flush the entire system, only takes a little over 3 pints and you will have a firmer set of brakes.
Mike J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts