Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to modify the watts linkage on the rear axle of my '01 DII. Anyone have any experience w/ this? I've talked to a few folks about it & thought about it and I think it would involve at least two of the following:

1. Extend shackle/bracket on frame attachment (similar to extending bracket on leaf suspension)
2. Modify the housing on axle attachment on drivers side where the watts link connects at max articulation
3. Lengthen the link-arms

The issue is that the watts linkage prevents maximum rear articulation on a DII. Not a problem up front, so the front articulation exceeds rear. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or experience in modifying the watts links? I'm not sure why they are even there or what value they add. Thanks

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scoobymick said:
I don't know about modifying the watts linkage but i can tell you what it's for,it controls the transverse movement of the axle while still allowing vertical movement.
Mick
That makes sense. But I meant it's function vs. alternative set-up). Problem is it doesn't allow enough vertical movement/drop and is unfriendly to suspension modifications. In extreme articulation it acts like a sway bar in limiting rear articulation, which on a bulky DII rear is something you need to limit body roll off road. One suggestion that was given to me was to replace with a panhard rod like on the P-38s?

I heard that Steve at RTE is working up a solution for this given the increased numbers of built-up DIIs. I guess I'll wait & see what he comes up w/.

Thanks Scoob---let me know if anyone else has any other ideas on removing/replacing/modifying this.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, for any DII owners w/ any interest, I'm going to work w/ my local indie shop on this problem. Going to fab longer brackets for the frame-end mounting of the watts links & test on an articulation ramp to see if any adjustment is needed to the axle-side housing. Will do this in the next few weeks & let you know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.