Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Disco II Snow Plow

12K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Maineiac04401 
#1 ·
I was thinking about getting a snow plow and I have a 00 Disco II. Has any one ever seen a Disco with a plow set up? I will need to modify the bumper and doe some welding to make the mounting brackets fit and install heavy springs.

Does anyone foresee any issues with this? Jamie........

#5 ·
You are going to have to contact some of the snow plow manufactures and get their blade sizes then talk to a good welding shop. You are also going to replace the springs both for the height and weight requirements.
Plan on removing all of the front bumper, you won't be able to get around that, and that's OK cause it will get broken if you go off the road much.
Mike J.

#6 ·
My plowing Disco

BOSTONGARDA said:
I was thinking about getting a snow plow and I have a 00 Disco II. Has any one ever seen a Disco with a plow set up? I will need to modify the bumper and doe some welding to make the mounting brackets fit and install heavy springs.

Does anyone foresee any issues with this? Jamie........
I have a '94 Disco that I just put a 6'8" sno-way plow on it plows great. I don't know about the longevity of the motor/tranny, but if you are not a cowboy plower I think it will b ok.

#7 · (Edited)
What a great way to ruin a good car! Get to know your local ZF rebuilder. They're good transmissions, but weren't designed for that loading. Have your SRS sensors turned off, up rate your front springs to HD, and put in plenty of weight in back to offset the plow weight. Your ABS is going to go wild, as your rear wheels will barely stop you with no load on them. If you already have a plow truck, why another?

#9 ·
Jay B said:
The SnoWay plow might be light enough to use without vehicle modifications. I've seen one on a Subaru station wagon.

The nose of my disco drops a mere 1/2 inch when the plow is raised, and I only paid $800 for it so the ABS does not work an the airbag lite is on too. The braking has show no ill effects, and the plow is only on in the snow anyway. It was reccomened to me to turn off my ABS in the snow by a disco fiend friend of mine anyway. It seems as though time/ abuse has taken care of that. If that rig can live up to its rated towing capcity a plow in the hands of a qualifiyed person will be fine. By the way I can weld, but do not work on ZF trannys.

billmcweld

#10 ·
Hi
Jamie I have a classic and a disco with a 6.5 foot plow. I also made one for a land rover mechanic at land rover of peabody, as well as one for a land rover dealer in NJ. Plowing is easier on the rover than beating the hell out of it in the mud and rocks. I have been plowing with these for years. I currently plow 60 driveways and 4 parking lots. I am now working on building another set-up for my newest disco. I will try to send you pics.
GOOD LUCK you can Email me with any questions.
Dan

#16 ·
Hi
Jamie I have a classic and a disco with a 6.5 foot plow. I also made one for a land rover mechanic at land rover of peabody, as well as one for a land rover dealer in NJ. Plowing is easier on the rover than beating the hell out of it in the mud and rocks. I have been plowing with these for years. I currently plow 60 driveways and 4 parking lots. I am now working on building another set-up for my newest disco. I will try to send you pics.
GOOD LUCK you can Email me with any questions.
Dan
I know this is an old post but I am in the process of buying an 06 that has had some significant mods (8 lug axles,gears,lockers, lift,skid plated, bumpers,winch wtc) I want to use it for plowing I have a small fisher 7 foot mi use mount plow
Do I have to have specially made push plates or can I just buy them ?

#12 ·
are the axels as strong on a d2 as on a d1 . d1 hubs are bigger arnt they ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.