Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I recently purchased a 2001 Disco II, excellent condition with only 32k miles. The previous owner parked it 15+ years ago and it’s been sitting since and aside from needing a good bath and expected maintenance, it’s in like new condition. I feel like I’ve got something special. Anyone heard of a Disco II with this low of miles in perfect running and cosmetic condition? If this is the gem I think and hope it is, where could I find a value on it? What’s it worth? I ask mainly for insurance purposes and to satisfy my own curiosity. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the previous advice I’ve gleamed from these threads. You guys are a world of knowledge.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
695 Posts
Long story short, I recently purchased a 2001 Disco II, excellent condition with only 32k miles. The previous owner parked it 15+ years ago and it’s been sitting since and aside from needing a good bath and expected maintenance, it’s in like new condition. I feel like I’ve got something special. Anyone heard of a Disco II with this low of miles in perfect running and cosmetic condition? If this is the gem I think and hope it is, where could I find a value on it? What’s it worth? I ask mainly for insurance purposes and to satisfy my own curiosity. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the previous advice I’ve gleamed from these threads. You guys are a world of knowledge.
I’ve never seen one that low. Lowest mileage D2 I’ve seen is the 60k-ish mile one that went for like 45 grand on BaT.

With that being said, cars are meant to be driven, and as I like to say, miles doesn’t matter, maintenance does. As such, you should still treat your Disco as the 21 year old car that it is and go over the cooling system (new hoses, 180 t-stat, etc), replace seals, etc.

Post pictures too!

·
Bleeds Green
183 Posts
What an amazing find! When you get it all sorted after its long nap, it should be fun to own! I too would love to see some pics of this time capsule!

Seals will be a big one since everything will be dried out. You may have issues with brakes as well so drive cautiously. Change all the fluids including the oil, coolant, brakes, tranny, transfer case, power steering and diffs. Change the water pump because if the coolant mix wasn't right, the impeller could have rotted. Change the thermostat and hoses too. Flush the engine with the radiator hoses off before starting it so if there is crud in there, it goes in a pan, not in the radiator. Flush the radiator and the surge tank too. It'd be good to replace the guibo (rubber flex disk) in the rear driveshaft as it may have rotted and could blow on the road and take things with it. Have a fuel filter or two on hand because there could be junk in the fuel tank which will clog the filter. If it starts surging or throws a lean code, it's probably from lack of fuel flow caused by a clogged filter which can damage the engine and cats. Check as many wires as you can get your eyes on because it may have rodent damage which can cause a fire. Carry a fire extinguisher for a while. Keep an eye on the inside of the wheels / tires to look for signs of hub seal leaks.

To your question of "what's it worth?", well... it's worth what someone will pay. I regularly see lower mileage (90-120k miles), good condition Discos for $15k+ on Craigslist and other sites not including BaT. BaT brings some crazy high bids. Your nearly-new Disco is pretty special and would bring a premium if it's recommissioned properly and put on BaT.

Hopefully you won't have many issues getting it going. Be patient or you'll pay for it later :)

Reactions: maremurus

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the way I bought it. Currently being shipped south to its new home. And as always, y’all have already given me info I would have otherwise not thought about. Calling my Land Rover shop now to set an appointment. Thanks again and if anyone interested, let me know!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Where did you find this truck for sale? Those look like New York license plates. The Kure Beach plate on the front is interesting, since Kure Beach is just a little way south of Wilmington, NC.

Given all the debris on the truck it looks like it was parked outside all those years. How is the paint?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you find this truck for sale? Those look like New York license plates. The Kure Beach plate on the front is interesting, since Kure Beach is just a little way south of Wilmington, NC.

Given all the debris on the truck it looks like it was parked outside all those years. How is the paint?
I found it in upstate Newyork and Surprisingly the paint is in overall good condition. 90% of it should buff out nicely. I actually bought this at an online auction site unseen so I feel like the risk was worth it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Congratulations. And good luck! Please update this thread as your work with it progresses.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
IMO all the rubber bushes and ball joints will fail in no time after they stood 15 years unused, the rubber might crack like chocolate

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found it in upstate Newyork and Surprisingly the paint is in overall good condition. 90% of it should buff out nicely. I actually bought this at an online auction site unseen so I feel like the risk was worth it.
not sure the current value, just make sure no one ever sees how neglected it was for it's entire life. pull the axles out and remove the rust before you start driving this around..all fluids must be removed fuel pump, fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel rails, should be cleaned thoroughly, before you ever try to start it. all hoses and vacuum lines will be rotten, brakes system will be corroded and may need entire replacement..There is a lot of work ahead for this vehicle,..heater core, well just about everything. all the seals will be old and crack on first start and drive...real value? say 500.00 bucks how much you will spend getting it reliable.12 k unless you do all the work yourself..thats just my opinion..good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice find. I just bought a 2000 Disco 2 with 39K miles on it (although it had been regularly driven), with a totally pristine interior /exterior (it had been in a garage in California and Nevada - the owner used it to go between her two houses 2x a year but not for much else). Going through it now... it's like a new car and was serviced annually at the LR dealer (which I enjoy seeing / reading the documentation about).

The only thing I've noticed from age so far is that the rubber boots are totally gone from all 4 ball joints, I guess from age. But it still drives well so guessing since there's not much rain in either location, it's not pressing to replace my ball joints just yet.

Also I'm replacing all coolant hoses w/ new Genuine ones as well as the thermostat just in case they've aged.

Since it looks like yours sat outside, I'd first be concerned about water ingress ... ie resealing both sunroofs (the rubber glass seal and more importantly the foam tape seal between the exterior plastic frame and metal roof), the sunroof drain tubes, clearing your AC drain tubes underneath the truck, and resealing the foam seals that hold the roof rails in (4 places total and headliner needs to be out to unbolt them and do it).

You may also find that plastics on the exterior crack or deteriorate when removing/reinstalling due to age (A pillars, plenum/cowl between hood and windshield, all of the rain gutter trims, rear bumper, front bumper, other bits here and there).

·
Registered
303 Posts
It would be great to see an update from the OP.

Reactions: discovering

·
Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
469 Posts
Chomping at the bit to see an update eh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts