Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! I am a new Range Rover Disco I owner, and have been enjoying every moment so far. I have discovered the joy of drips and leaks, the wonder of going off road for the first time (Recovering Sports car addict) and the wonders of owning a "real" truck rather than what some of my SUV owning friends are playing with. So, hello to my new "room mates" and I hope to get to know all of you better in the coming months.

Now on to the real issue: I have replaced the original stereo (because it was dead) with an alpine head, and some Alpine/Boston Coaxes.

All this serves to underscore that I need to get some bass in the truck and ideally I would like to find some 6 1/2" drivers that will go in the existing location on the back door. I have tried several brands (JL and Bazooka) and haven't found anything that will fit in the stock location. I know I have to add an amp, but realy want to keep the bay open rather than dropping in a box or worse yet the $$$ aspects of going custom. Anyone found anything that works and provides enough bass?

Great site!!

Rob

· Registered
5,468 Posts
First off, welcome bro. Second, um, you got either a Range Rover or a Disco but not both in one... :D Third, yeah, I can't help you. Just wanted to say welcome! :drink1:

· Registered
176 Posts
roverX said:
...Second, um, you got either a Range Rover or a Disco but not both in one... :D ...

I was thinking the same... but with what we do to these trucks who the hell knows!!!! :) I think I have at least three different trucks making up my engine! LOL

But nonetheless welcome to the best addiction out there! :drive:

· Registered
350 Posts
I don't think you're going to find an actual subwoofer that small, they generally stop calling 'em "subwoofers" smaller than 8". However, if you get some component woofers and mount 'em back there, it may be sufficient bass for ya. You'll have to do some custom wiring, though. Good luck, and welcome :)

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
assuming you have a disco I, not a range rover...why dont you just mount it into one of the storage bins....facing out. Just cut a whole and put something over it as a faceplate (to hide the shitty cutting and the hole).

Just wire it up and your good...you could also install some type of flap so you could still use the storage bin, but not have to worry about crap messing up the wireing/sub.

Depending on what you want...it might also be too big for the storage bins....in this case, mount it as deep into one of the bins as possible...then have the rest come out a bit and you could make it nice with a wood carpeted plate.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I said, I am a newb, so please excuse the Dumb fingers. It is definately a Disco..

Thanks for the welcome, and I think I am going to look for some 6 1/2s before going for the 10 in the side. I'll let you know what I find, but if you have successfully mounted anything iin the door, let me know.

Rob

· Magicly Delicious
1,019 Posts
i was just thinking about doing some minor fabbing if you're willing to risk getting rid of a jump seat, then i saw that pic (didnt know what storage bins you were talking about until i saw the pic).

great minds think alike, (and drive Rovers :drive: )

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!! How big of a system do you want?

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
Many of us with the SE7 models do have jump seats in that spot Keptin, not storage. Myself I just put a subwoofer box sytem in the back of mine I can just unplug and take out if need be. :wave:

I use my jump seats when hunting, so I would not part with either one.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Since I don't have jump seats, the single 10 option is looking better every day.
I'll keep you posted.

I have learned a lot of good stuff here already!! Thanks for all the advice.

Rob

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm in a bit late on this discussion, but, there is nothing you can fit into the rear door speaker area that will do what you are contemplating. You will have to do something like Keptin or Discrover have suggested. Here's another idea.....

· Magicly Delicious
1,019 Posts
Discrover said:
Many of us with the SE7 models do have jump seats in that spot Keptin, not storage. Myself I just put a subwoofer box sytem in the back of mine I can just unplug and take out if need be. :wave:

I use my jump seats when hunting, so I would not part with either one.
thats the same setip i have.

jump seats kick ass. i once took 7 people (including myself) to the dunes. twas the most fun i ever had with my Disco.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.