Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First of all I want to say how much I love this site. I have learned that I am not alone when it comes to having both a loving and challenging relationship with my 98 Discovery. By the way I have no clue about engines..I know how to check oil and tire pressure
I have had my disco in the (dealer) shop 3 times since I purchased it in August. 88k on the engine. Truck purchase from private owner (my brother in-law)

1. Sept-Disco leaking oil from headgaskets, rear diff assy and power steering lines. Diagnostic as "red engine" light on

2. Oct - Had rear diff assy leak repaired, oil change and fuel injection clean up service

3. Nov-Leaking water from front sun roof...had it sealed but needs new sunroof upper kit to repair

Now 1 day after getting the Disco out of the shop...driving on the high-way at 70 mph the truck started to hesitate and had trouble accelerating. Just at that moment the amber "check engine" light came on!! Another trip to the shop is scheduled for this week!!!

I love my Disco but what is going on?
Any words of support are greatly appreciated. I live in CT and the only place I have taken it to is a Land Rover service shop.
Thanks,
Quack

·
MG
771 Posts
Hi! My name is Marcos, and I'm addicted to my Land Rover...

Welcome to the support group.

My suggestion is to become more mechanically addept. Had I taken this route 4 years ago when I was a "new" LR owner, I would have been able to fly one of the many experts on LRO to Bolivia, all expenses included, shipped my parts from wherever and still saved money (and gotten the repairs right in the first place!).

Folk on LRO are all willing to help and will walk you through any repair.

Think about it as a way to get all that more intimate with your obsession...

·
MG
771 Posts
Oh, and I don't know about your '98, but if my '95 did that, I would suspect the fuel filter or pump.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Quack98 said:
Thanks,

Appreciate the information. If I were to fix all the things currently not working with my Disco the cost would be around $4500.00! I guess I'll be working on my mechanic skills. :drive:

Who quoted you that?!?!?! We'll help all the way through. We only charge beer. :drink1:

Sounds like fuel filter or fuel pump or possibly fuel relay switch going out or possible vacuum leak or maybe just bad gas. Take yer rig to AutoZone nad have the codes read. Or spend 99 bucks and go to www.ambientweather.com and buy the CarChip. It will read your codes, clear them, and reset the light. The dealer will charge you 100 bucks to read and shut off the light. Pays for itself in one use.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Welcome to the LRO forum!!!!! I agree with the other 2!!! But if you really don't want to do it yourself find a good indeoendent LR shop...dealerships are a joke!!

Ask John C!!!!! He may be able to help you!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info...the dealership is costing me way to much $$$. Simple "diagnostic" service is $90.00

Autozone is right down the street.

Let me know where to send to beer!!!! :drink1:

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
First off, most if not all lR leak oil especially from the head gaskets and rear oil main seal.

If you have a check engine lite after the repair bring it back to get repaired. The technician could have installed a problem.

Secondly, dont blame the dealer. You bought this from your brother in law. Its obvious he chose to live with the leaks and then sell you up the river. Did you get a good deal or did you get boned. Check kelly blue book and subtract the costs of repair.

And is this vehicle going to be cheap to repair no. Reason is no one except dealers has the knowledge. Remember we pay for that knowledge as well. A typical computer plus info costs well over ten grand. Not to mention the other system we have for the new ones. NOt to mention the costs of every tool for every rover built and you understand why it gets expensive. There is also the cost of sending technicians to school to work on the vehicles as well.
Most if not all dealers arent fly by night. Some might be. its your right as a consumer to look at what the shop looks like and to ask questions. I can tell you I have worked at other dealers with little or no tools and the simplest equipment. Not to mention arcane and broken lifts and leaking roofs. And this was a Lincoln dealer.

So dont point the finger at the dealer.

I would run to the dealer explain what happened have it diaged. Trust me they will look at it for free if they think they screwed up. If it is your problem say plugs or wires then you have the right to choose someone else or do it by yourself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My brother inlaw kind of forgot to tell me about any of the problems with the car. He said he never had any oil stains on his driveway. He had the disco for 2 years!! Got a good deal on the Disco so no real $$$ loss there. I'm Bringing the car to a local dealer today....hope the news isn't too bad.

Thanks for all information and guidance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.