Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a 98 disco 1 w/4.0 safely tow a jeep wrangler on all four using an A frame?

What about a 2wd chevy S-10 using a tow dolley? :drive:

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
por que?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I towed a D90 on a large trailer (w/brakes) using my 96 D1.... it was scary!

I had to run a few red lights in NYC cause I couldn't stop at the intersection.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
02disco2,

Por que necisito que ir a mi familia en Mn, y quero darle mi hermano mi automobile. Y por el jepto, este verana, mi familia y yo queremos ir a moab, Ut, for vacacion, y necesito usar mu jepto en los trails!

Lo siento por mi espanol, pero yo trailo.

I am going to have to just try it and see what its like because doesnt seem like many people have tried it.

I am not having a lend of you, nor a I pulling on your pisser. :lol:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Es posible pero no recomendable. Nuestros coches son muy pesados.

Buena suerte.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
John C said:
I towed a D90 on a large trailer (w/brakes) using my 96 D1.... it was scary!

John, tighten up the sensitivity on your brake controller, the trailer, by itself, ought to stop the whole parade. I'm just assuming, of coarse always a dumb thing to do, that it is a four wheeled trailer, electric brakes.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
TerryS said:
John, tighten up the sensitivity on your brake controller, the trailer, by itself, ought to stop the whole parade. I'm just assuming, of coarse always a dumb thing to do, that it is a four wheeled trailer, electric brakes.
Yep, it was a four wheel / electric brakes.... my biggest problem was that the roads were slightly wet...

Actually, I was looking for and excuse to hit a NYC taxi... :D

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
I have never pulled a vehicle with an A-Frame connection. But, I have pulled my smaller cabin boat (18 ft Open Bow) and it doesn't have trailer brakes. Needless to say I had a very difficult time stopping and actually slid through an intersection when it was raining. Scared the crap out of me. The funny thing was, the boat and trailer only weigh in at rougly 2000 lbs. My city boat pulls around like a dream and it weights roughly 5800lbs loaded up with 65 gallons of fuel and the trailer. It does have four wheel surge brakes though.

Nice Spanish by-the-way. ;) I was really having a hard time understanding the post from our friend Aussie Disco97. Must have been a break down in the Engish language somewhere along the line.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankfully, on the trip with the s10, there are not any real hills. On the otherhand, the trip to moab will be going across CO and the eastern parts of UT, so will be some "hills" :) , but, if need be, I will just disconnect the jeep for the hills. I hope the disco has the torque to get the job done and the tranny is not a weak link. I'll also be giving the cooling system a real workout w/ 100+ temps in august in UT.
:eek:
Kieran

·
Registered
490 Posts
On the real steep hills, use 1st gear if you have to, its ok for the V8 to be revving at 5,000 RPMs. In fact, its much better to keep the revs up than have the engine dogging, because it will overheat the cylinder head and can cause head gasket failure / craked heads. Depending on how slow you can go, you can put it in low-range / drive, then you will have no problems. You should have enough, though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been wondering what the rev range is for the 4.0, as there is no indication on the tach of when to watch it. My 5.0 mustang gets into the yellow at 5 and red at 6. They are both pushrod v8's so I guess it should be about the same? :drive:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does a disco have a tranny temp dummy light? Also, what is the function of the green trailer light on the guage pod?

Kieran

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.