Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just inherited a 2004 disco II, but won't start. It has set unused for about 6 months in my Dad's driveway. Tried to start it the other day and realized the battery was dead, replaced battery and it cranked, but wouldn't fire up. There is about a 1/4 tank of fuel and all electric systems seem to work it just won't turn-over. Is there something easy I can do to get it to turnover, so I can get it to a garage for a once over before getting it back on the road?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "will not turnover?" If it cranks and does not start, then it is turning over. Are you saying just that it will turnover but it will not start? Or are you saying that the battery is charged but the starter will not turnover the engine and therefore it will not start?

Help us out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Obviously, it could be a lack of spark or a lack of fuel delivery. By chance did you happen to notice whether the fuel pump made any sound whatsoever when you first turned on the ignition switch (prior to engaging the starter)?? If you can pull a spark plug, you can determine whether or not you are getting spark. Just remove the easiest to reach plug, connect the plug wire back to the plug... and set it near some grounding metal while you try to crank the truck up. This is where it would be good to have someone help you for a second. If you see a spark... or, you don't see a spark... at least you have made some progress in diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It may be wiser to check for spark with an induction timing light or spark sensor.
I would consider a failed crank position sensor as the possible complication.
Welcome to the Discovery II adventure !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.